What's been happening and what happens next
K Road is a large and complex project and we’ve involved technical specialists from AT, Auckland Council, and the community, to help us achieve a great design. Beca Engineering were appointed in July 2017 as the key consultancy to lead this process, focusing on aspects such as road design, traffic flow, safety, drainage, lighting, and landscape design.
Throughout 2017, we have worked with mana whenua, the Waitemata Local Board, the Auckland City Centre Advisory Board and the K Road Business Association to seek their input and keep them informed.
Maintaining K Road’s unique character and heritage through great urban design is key to this project. The K Road community best understands what makes K Road special, so in October we convened a diverse, 12-member design reference group made up of residents, property owners, business people, and retailers. We sought their feedback on design elements such as street furniture, lighting, and design and colour enhancements.
The design reference group has met three times since October and will continue into 2018 with an expanding focus on things like parking, project staging, and meeting the needs of K Road businesses.
From January 2018, we will start a monthly project newsletter, keeping you informed of progress and seeking your feedback on aspects of the project which you can subscribe to and select K Road enhancements.
We understand the high level of interest in a parking plan for the K Road precinct, during construction and once works are completed. Our parking team is preparing this plan and we expect to share it with you in February.
Early in the new year, AT and Auckland Council will also discuss with businesses how we can best support you during construction.
Time line and community engagement 2017
- November 2015 - April 2017 Community Reference Group.
- January - June 2017 – contractor tendering.
- July 2017 – contractor appointed.
- October 2017 – Waitemata Local Board Workshop.
- October 2017 – developed design reference group.
Looking ahead you can expect the following time line for key delivery dates on the project
- January 2018 continued engagement with the K Rd Reference Group, Local Board, KBA, and wider community.
- February 2018 developed design complete.
- February 2018 resource consent lodged.
- April 2018 complete detailed design (available to the community).
- Mid 2018 to Mid-2019 construction.