We are making some changes to improve bus services on Mt Eden Road, make it easier for passengers to change buses, and make Mt Eden Village more convenient to visit.
We consulted on the proposal in February and received 759 submissions, which we’ve analysed and collated into a Public Feedback Report.
Project status: Design
Project zone: Central
We are increasing the operating hours for bus lanes and clearways in Mt Eden. We are also lengthening the bus stops to fit 2 buses and make it easier for buses to safely pull into and out of the stops.
At the same time as we are making these changes, we propose to extend the bus lanes and modify parking restrictions in Mt Eden Village.
- Improving parking availability through a higher turnover of parking spaces.
- Simplifying the restrictions in the Mt Eden Village town centre.
- Helping reduce congestion and speed up travel times by separating buses from other vehicles.
- Providing more room at bus stops to hold waiting passengers, so passengers don't block pedestrians access on the footpath.
- Helping make travelling by bus faster and more reliable.
- Offering greater flexibility in the length of stay for people with paid parking without time limits.
- Improving the streetscape by reducing the number of parking signs.
- Discouraging commuter parking.
- 1 February, 2018 - Feedback opens
- March, 2018 - feedback considered
- Late 2018 - work expected to start.
We are making some changes in Mt Eden Road to the bus lanes, clearways and bus stops.
At the same time that we do this work, we propose to change parking management in Mt Eden Village to increase the supply of short term parking.
There are 4 parts to this project:
- Increase bus lane and clearway operating hours along Mt Eden Road.
- Change bus stop layouts in Mt Eden Village.
- Extend bus lanes along Mt Eden Road, between Plunket Road (south of Balmoral Road) and Kingsview Road.
- Change parking restrictions in Mt Eden Village.
Increase bus lane and clearway operating hours along Mt Eden Road
We are standardising bus lane operating hours across Auckland. Currently, lanes operate at different times and don't always align with peak travel times. As the Auckland population grows more people are using the roads, leading to longer periods of peak traffic conditions.
Bus lanes and clearways reduce congestion and speed up travel times by separating buses from other vehicles. Bicycles and motorbikes can use the bus lanes too, which helps separate them from the stream of traffic.
|Northbound bus lane and clearway hours|
|Current hours||New hours|
|7am - 9am (week days)||7am - 10am (week days)|
|No parking will be permitted on the road on Mondays to Fridays, from 7am - 10am, where bus lane and clearway restrictions apply.|
|Southbound bus lane and clearway hours|
|Current hours||New hours|
|4.30pm - 5.30pm (week days) through the village
4pm - 6pm (week days) outside the village
|4pm - 7pm (week days)|
|No parking will be permitted on the road on Mondays to Fridays, from 4pm - 7pm, where bus lane and clearway restrictions apply.|
Change bus stop layouts in Mt Eden Village
We will be extending the length of bus stops throughout Mt Eden Village on both sides of the road to cater for two buses at a time. We will also include nine-metre lengths of broken yellow lines to allow room for buses to safely pull into and out of bus stops.
Proposed bus stop layout
Here is what we will do:
- Undertake minor modifications to the kerb line on the eastern side of Mt Eden Road (south of Stokes Road), so that the double decker buses can use the extended bus stops without hitting the shop awnings.
- Relocate the loading zone currently at 415 Mt Eden Road to 405 Mt Eden Road to make room for the extended bus stop.
When we extend the lengths of the bus stops we will need to remove six parking spaces. Three parking spaces on the western side between Essex Road and Valley Road (405, 407 and 409 Mt Eden Road) and three on the eastern side between Stokes Road and Poronui Street (450, 452 and 454 Mt Eden Road). However, there will be more short term parking options available with the proposed changes to parking restrictions.
Extend bus lanes along Mt Eden Road
We propose to extend the bus lanes along Mt Eden Road, between Plunket Road (south of Balmoral Road) and Kingsview Road. The bus lanes would operate on weekdays from 7am to 10am.
Extending the bus lanes will make travelling by bus faster and more reliable.
Existing bus lanes
Proposed bus lanes
Here is what we propose:
- Extend the existing northbound bus lane from where it currently stops at Plunket Road, through to where it starts again just north of Kingsview Road.
- Convert the second northbound general traffic lane, at the Balmoral Road traffic lights, to a bus lane.
- Remove the right turn into Pencarrow Avenue from Mt Eden Road. The length of the new bus lane doesn’t leave enough room for a right turn bay. Removing this right turn will also prevent the northbound traffic lane being blocked by vehicles waiting to turn right and will help reduce the volume of traffic using Pencarrow Avenue as a short cut.
Change parking restrictions in Mt Eden Village
We propose to make parking changes in Mt Eden Village to free up more short term parking for visitors, and to provide simple and consistent parking restrictions in the village.
Over the last two years, we carried out a comprehensive parking study in and around Mt Eden Village in consultation with Mt Eden Village Inc (local business association). The study showed that overall parking availability isn’t the major issue in the area. However, it highlighted that several streets within the village experience high demand for parking. Approximately 90% of parking spaces in these streets are occupied during peak times. The study also found that on average vehicles are parked for one hour in the village. This suggests that the existing 30 minutes time limit often doesn’t meet visitors’ parking needs.
Here is what we propose:
- Introduce a P60 parking zone along Mt Eden Road, from Woodside Road to north of Rautangi Road and on sections of Valley Road, Oaklands Road, Essex Road, Stokes Road, Newnham Lane, Ngauruhoe Street, Poronui Street, Grange Road and Disraeli Street. This zone will apply from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Sunday.
- During bus lane and clearway operating hours the P60 parking zone on Mt Eden Road will only apply from 10am to 6pm northbound and from 8am to 4pm southbound, Monday to Friday. On Saturday and Sunday, the P60 parking zone will apply from 8am to 6pm.
- The P60 parking zone on Stokes Road will operate outside the clearway operating hours (i.e. not between 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm). On Saturday and Sunday, it will operate from 8am to 6pm.
- Introduce paid parking restrictions with no time limits in the Essex Road Carpark from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Sunday. The tariff will be $1 per hour.
- A ten-minute ‘grace period’ will apply in the car park to allow people to stop for up to ten minutes before payment must be made.
- Introduce P15 parking restriction on the northern side of Poronui Street. This restriction will cover approximately three parking spaces and be operational from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Sunday.
- Introduce P15 parking restriction on the northern side of Oaklands Road. This restriction will cover approximately two parking spaces and be operational from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Sunday.
- Introduce P120 parking restrictions along stretches of Fairview Road, Poronui Street and Woodside Road. These restrictions will apply from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Saturday.
- Introduce a ‘Car Share at all times’ parking restriction on Oaklands Road and will be reserved for car share vehicles only. This refers to specific hourly hire vehicles, such as CityHop car share vehicles.
- Introduce a P120 motorcycle At All Times parking restriction on Oaklands Road.
- Remove the existing taxi parking restriction and replace with the car share and motorcycle parking restrictions as mentioned above.
- All the existing loading zones, mobility parking restrictions and no stopping restrictions will be retained.
Feedback on the proposal was open from 1 February to 28 February 2018 and we received 759 submissions. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.
We have analysed and considered all the feedback to improve our proposal.
Key themes in feedback
Feedback showed good support for the proposal, with 63.2% of respondents either ‘Very Happy’ or ‘Happy’ with the overall proposal.
The following key themes from the feedback to the bus lane and parking proposal and respondents’ general feedback to the Mt Eden bus lane and parking changes proposal overall:
- The largest proportion of all respondents said the proposed bus lane extensions would improve congestion and make bus services on Mt Eden Rd more reliable during peak hours (300 responses)
- Nearly a quarter of respondents thought the parking restriction proposal would improve churn and availability of on-street parking for everyone (178 responses)
- Statements of support for the Essex Rd carpark paid parking proposal, saying the tariff is fair for both short-term visitors and commuters (177 respondents)
- Opposition to the Essex Road carpark tariff, saying it may pose an undue/unfair cost to locals and visitors that could also impact local business (113 submitters)
- The proposed clearway times would improve congestion for buses and general traffic, often impeded by cars parked in the village (108 respondents)
- Requests for more car parks to be removed along Mt Eden Rd to ease congestion and hazards to drivers and cyclists; some wanted all on-street parking removed within the village (107 responses)
- Concerns that the removal of six on-street car parks, clearway time extensions, and parking restrictions on side streets will make less parking available to residents, visitors to the Village, and local business employees (106 respondents)
- Some concerns that parts of the proposal may have a negative impact on local businesses, such as the bus stop locations and parking restrictions (80 responses)
- Requests to retain time restrictions in the Essex Road carpark, so Village visitors and commuters have equal access to the car park throughout the day (78 responses).
We received many suggestions and comments about specific aspects of the proposal, and as a result we will:
- End the P60 zone beside Valley Road/Oakland Road, and not near Rautangi Road at as originally proposed.
- Install a P120 restriction, Monday to Saturday, 8am to 6pm along the western side of Mt Eden Road, north of Valley Road up to 391 Mt Eden Road to free up these spaces for short term parking during the week.
- Increase the proposed P120 restriction on Poronui Street to P180.
- Introduce a graduated tariff in the Essex Road carpark of $1.00 per hour for the first 2 hours, increasing to $2.00 per hour thereafter with no time limit.
- Retain the existing P5 on Stokes Road outside the public toilets.
- Not ban the right-hand turn from Mt Eden Road to Pencarrow Avenue. We will monitor this turn after we install the new length of bus lane and will reconsider introducing the right turn ban if issues arise.
- Investigate the potential for introducing an additional pedestrian crossing in or near the village.
- Incorporate advanced stop boxes for bikes at the Essex Road / Mt Eden Road / Stokes Road and Balmoral Road / Mt Eden Road intersections.
- Remove one car park on Mt Eden Road just north of Poronui Street to improve visibility for motorists exiting from Poronui Street.
- We also received feedback about our plans to extend both bus stops in the village. This change is an important aspect of the planned bus improvements. We will still be extending these bus stops, however we have reviewed the design with the aim of reducing the length of the extensions. With the new design we will only remove four parking spaces (two on each side of the road) instead of six (three on each side of the road), as originally proposed.
The parking restrictions AT will be implementing around the village on the side roads will prevent all day parking in 76 currently unrestricted parks, and prioritise shorter visits (i.e. P60, P120).
We will be proceeding with the bus lane extension, and increasing the bus lane and clearway hours of operation, as proposed:
- The bus lane and clearway operating hours on Mt Eden Road will be: northbound 7am to 10am and southbound 4pm to 7pm, weekdays.
- The northbound bus lane along Mt Eden Road will be extended between Plunket Road and Kingsview Road.
We plan to begin work in late 2018. The work requires mostly changes to signage and road marking changes and should not disrupt traffic. Road markings will be installed at night and the work will be carried out over a six week period. We will endeavour to minimise all impacts of the work and will communicate to affected parities ahead of any work starting.
- Appendix 2: Traffic engineering review of bus stop options (PDF 684KB)
- Appendix 3: Urban Design review of bus stop options (PDF 630KB)
- Appendix 4: Original bus stop extension design – Mt Eden Village (PDF 1.2MB)
- Appendix 5: Final bus stop extension design – Mt Eden Village (PDF 1.4MB)
- Appendix 7: Final parking changes – Mt Eden Village (PDF 130KB)
- Download the Mt Eden Village parking and bus lane brochure (PDF 3MB)
- Mt Eden parking review report (PDF 2MB, pages 23)
- Mt Eden town centre bus observational and intercept survey (PDF 1MB, pages 18)