Skip to Main Content
Auckland Transport

Mt Wellington Highway bus/truck lane improvements Mt Wellington Highway bus/truck lane improvements

Auckland Transport (AT) decided to proceed with the changes that were proposed for Mt Wellington Highway in Mt Wellington. The changes are located on Mt Wellington Highway between Roslyn Road and Longford Street.

Project status: Detailed design
Project zone: Central

Project overview

Buses (and trucks) are experiencing significant delays along Mt Wellington Highway. We are introducing changes to Mt Wellington Highway in Mt Wellington to help improve travel times for all vehicles. The changes are located on Mt Wellington Highway between Roslyn Road and Longford Street, and include:

  • a southbound bus/truck lane operating 24hours seven days a week (buses, heavy vehicles over 3,500kg, bicycles and motorbikes will be permitted to use the lane)
  • narrowing of the painted central median
  • kerb and footpath realignments on the west side of the road
  • a new signalised pedestrian crossing and associated kerb widening
  • upgrading the pram crossings at Longford Street
  • a new bus stop, bus stop and shelter relocation and bus stop improvements
  • some removal of on-street parking (please note: no vehicles have been observed using the parking).


  • Reduced travel times and improved travel time reliability for buses and trucks.
  • Buses becoming a more attractive travel option with faster travel times and better reliability.
  • New signalised pedestrian crossing will improve connectivity between bus stops and provide another safe crossing point for pedestrians.
  • Regrading of existing pram crossings will improve accessibility for mobility scooters and wheelchairs.
  • New bus stop will reduce the distance between bus stops improving connectivity.

Project details

Bus/truck lane location

The bus/truck lane will be about 300m long and run from 226 to 270 Mt Wellington Highway (start just after Roslyn Road and finish just before Longford Street). Buses, heavy vehicles over 3,500kg, bicycles and motorbikes will legally be permitted to use the lane.

Making space for the bus/truck lane

The space for the bus/truck lane will be achieved by narrowing the painted central median, removing on-street parking and small areas of road widening (kerb realignments).

  • The painted median will be narrowed from around 2.5 metres to 5 metres to around 0 metres to 2.5 metres (depending on the location).
  • Kerb realignment on the west side of the road is required to retain a right turn bay for traffic turning into Hamlin Road. The kerb realignment will be about 100 metres long, it will start at Hamlin Road and head in a northbound direction. The kerb realignment will also require the realignment of the footpath in this location and necessitates regrading driveways at 239 Mt Wellington Highway and 1A Hamlin Road.
  • Removing on-street parking consists of installing 200 metres of broken yellow lines (No Stopping At Any Time (NSAAT)) on the east side of the road and 80 metres of broken yellow lines (NSAAT) on the west side of the road. The new NSAAT markings will remove approximately 33 parking spaces.

Parking Removal

On-street parking removal is required to make space for the bus/truck lane, make it easier for buses to pull up to and exit from bus stops and to improve visibility at the new pedestrian crossing and the Hamlin Road intersection. No vehicles were observed using the on-street parking during the following parking observations:

  • Weekdays, 7am to 9am, midday, 4pm to 6pm and after 7pm.
  • Saturday at midday and 8pm.

Other changes

A new signalised pedestrian crossing and associated kerb widening

The new signalised pedestrian crossing will be located outside 236 Mt Wellington Highway. It will improve connectivity between bus stops and provide another safe crossing point for pedestrians.

New pram crossings at Longford Street

The existing pram crossings are too steep. They will be regraded to improve accessibility for mobility scooters and wheelchairs.

New bus stop, bus stop and shelter relocation and bus stop improvements

  • The proposed new bus stop outside 240/242 Mt Wellington Highway to the bus stops at 190 Mt Wellington Highway and 234 Penrose Road to around 420 metres - 700 metres, down from around 630 metres - 840 metres (Auckland Transport’s standard is 400 metre separation). The location of the bus stop also ensures connectivity with the bus stop across the road and aligns with Hamlin Road for pedestrians coming from that direction.
  • Relocate bus stop/shelter from 259 Mt Wellington Highway (just south of Hamlin Road) to outside 239 Mt Wellington Highway. This will improve vehicle safety because when buses use the current bus stop, they can obstruct views of oncoming traffic for vehicles exiting Hamlin Road. The new location also aligns better with the new bus stop across the road.
  • Realign the bus stop outside 270 Mt Wellington Highway to make it easier for buses to pull up to the kerb.

Download the detailed designs for the Mt Wellington Highway bus/truck lane improvements (PDF 3.6MB).

Public engagement

We sought public feedback on the project between 28 October and 17 November 2019.

Public feedback

After considering the public feedback we have decided to progress the project through to implementation, subject to the following changes:

  • Modify the lane markings at the start of the bus lane to guide motorists away from the bus lane and into the general traffic lane (i.e. discourage corner cutting).
  • Where there is space, widen the footpath on the eastern side of the road.

Read the Mt Wellington Highway bus/truck lane improvements public feedback report (PDF 1.1MB, 22 pages).

Next steps

Auckland Transport will be in touch with residents and local businesses once we have confirmed the construction timeline. It is anticipated that construction of these changes will take place around early 2021 and take between four and six weeks to complete.

We will work closely with the community to mitigate disruption as much as possible and ensure advance notice is provided.

For more information on this project

Contact Auckland Transport

If you are experiencing family violence, don't worry, the information within this pop-up won't appear in your browser's history.

Privacy policy

We’ve made asking for help safer than ever.

Join us in standing up against domestic violence and making more places of refuge across the internet.

If you, your business or your agency want to have The Shielded Site tab on your site we’ve made adding it very easy.

Click here to find out more. (WARNING: this will take you away from our shielded portal.)


If you are living in fear in your relationship or in your family, there are so many ways we can help you right now. You won’t be turned away even if you don’t have children, a NZ visa, or money. If you still have more questions have a read below and contact us when you’re ready.

I’m ready to talk now.

You can call our 24-hour support and crisis line on 0800 REFUGE (733843). Or, if you prefer, you can click here and contact us discretely through our contact form and we will email you back as soon as possible.

What will I do for money?

There are a number of benefits and allowances you may be eligible for if you are a victim of domestic violence in New Zealand. We can help you better understand your options once you make contact.

I haven’t been beaten up, can Women’s Refuge still help me?

We support women who have experienced any form of domestic violence: verbal, psychological/emotional, sexual, and financial as well as physical. In fact, psychological/emotional abuse is the most common form of domestic violence.

How much does it cost to stay?

Women's Refuge support and advocacy services are free. In the safe house, rent is usually charged once your financial situation is sorted out. Safety is our main concern. You won't be turned away if you don't have any money.

How long can I stay in a safe house?

Some women only stay a night or two, while others stay for weeks. You can talk with the advocates at your local refuge about how long you think you need to stay to ensure your safety.

I don’t live with my partner, but he is abusing me. Can you still help me?

Yes, you don’t have to be living with your partner to experience domestic violence and you can still call us.

What happens if I haven't got any clothes or food?

Women's Refuge has clothing that you can have. We’ve also got toys and books, formula and nappies. You are welcome to use our emergency food until you get your financial situation sorted out.

Will other people be there?

Safe houses usually have other women, including women with their children, staying there. Refuge advocates are around during the day.

How will I get my kids to school?

The advocates at your local refuge will help you work out transport for your children, or help with changing schools.

Can Women's Refuge help me if I stay in my own house?

Yes, we can provide all the same support and advocacy for you no matter where you choose to live. You may be eligible to access support through the Whanau Protect service.

I'm living in a rural area. Can you still help me?

Yes. Find your local refuge and they will be able to arrange support, advocacy and transport for you.

Can Women's Refuge help around issues with children?

Yes. We can provide support and advocacy around matters to do with custody, access and care.


The safest way to browse the internet if you suspect your browsing history is being monitored, is to use your browser’s private or incognito mode.

If you suspect your device has been compromised by spyware, then you should use consider using another device as some spyware may still be able to monitor icognito sessions.

To activate a private browsing session, follow the instructions below.


Open Safari > go to the File menu > select New Private Window

When finished, don’t forget to close your browser window to ensure your safety and privacy.


Open Chrome > go to the triple-dot menu (top right of your browser's window) > select New Incognito Window

Internet Explorer

Open IE > click the Tools button > select Safety > and then click InPrivate Browsing

Mozilla Firefox

Open Firefox > click the menu button ☰ > and then click New Private Window

You should see a message in the new window saying that you are now browsing privately.

When finished, don’t forget to close your browser window to ensure your safety and privacy.

Getting out

The most important thing is for you and your children to get out safely. It is important to know that leaving a violent relationship can be one of the most dangerous times for women and children so it is important to make a safety plan around leaving and keep your plans confidential. Below are some tips to help you make a plan.

  • If you can, pack a bag with bare necessities and important documents that you can leave with someone you trust. Include important documents such as passport, birth certificate, bank account details, driver’s licence, and bank cards and other things like medicines.

  • Know abuser's schedule and safe times to leave.

  • Contact us for guidance or a safe place to stay for you and your children.

Getting help

We warmly welcome all women and their children to access our support, advocacy and crisis accommodation. If you need help or have questions, use our live chat to get in touch.

making a plan

The safety of you and your children (if you have them) will be your primary concern. If you’re not ready or cannot safely leave, here are some things you can do to stay safe now.

  • Make a safety plan with the guidance of a refuge advocate.

  • Get yourself a pre-paid phone; keep it charged and safe.

  • Keep photocopies of important documents (passport, birth certificate, bank account details, medical notes, driver's licence, etc) and store these at the home of a supportive friend or family member.

  • Keep a journal of all violent incidents, noting dates and events.

  • If you can, open your own bank account and try to save some money.

  • If you have pets you are worried about, consider them in your safety plan.

Privacy Policy – The Shielded Site Application.


In this privacy policy, the terms ‘NCIWR’, ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’ refer to National Collective of Independent Women’s Refuges Inc. NCIWR operates this web application at (‘this web application’).

This privacy policy explains how we may collect, store, use, and disclose personal information that we collect and that you provide to us. By using this web application you acknowledge that we may collect, store, use, and disclose your personal information in the manner set out in this privacy policy.

Collection of personal information

We may collect personal information from you when you use this web application, for example when you make a request for contact on this web application.

You may decide not to provide your personal information to us. However, if you do not provide it, we may not be able to provide you with access to certain information or services. For example, we may be unable to make contact with you if you do not provide us with your contact information.

Automated collection of non-personal information

When you visit this web application, we will not add traceable elements (such as cookies, sessions, and usage monitoring software) to your browser or device.

Use and disclosure

We will not use or disclose your personal information except in accordance with this privacy policy or the Privacy Act 1993. We may use your personal information to:

  • assist in providing information and services requested by you;

  • communicate with you

Your personal information will only be made available internally for the above purposes. We will not disclose your personal information to third parties. We will only use or disclose personal information that you have provided to us, or which we have obtained about you:

  • for the above-mentioned purposes;

  • if you have otherwise authorised us to do so;

  • if we have given you notification of the intended use or disclosure and you have not objected to that use or disclosure;

  • if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions;

  • if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers and users, or others;

  • if we are required or permitted by law to disclose the information; or

  • to another entity that carries on the business of operating this web application.

Storage and security

All personal information collected on this web application is collected and held by NCIWR. We will endeavour to protect your personal information that is held by us from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction.

Third party service providers

This website may be hosted by one or more third party service providers (‘service providers’) who enable us to provide this web application. You acknowledge and agree that any personal information that may be collected on this web application may also be held and used by our service providers on our behalf. Any information collected will be securely sent and securely stored on a server.

Third party websites

This web application may be hosted by websites operated by third parties. We are not responsible for the content of such websites, or the manner in which those websites collect, store, use, or distribute any personal information you provide. When you visit third party websites from hyperlinks displayed on this web application, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of those websites so that you can understand how the personal information you provide may be collected, stored, used, and distributed.

Right to access and correct

You may request access to, or correction of, any personal information we hold about you by contacting us as follows:
Post:Privacy Officer
PO Box 27-078
Marion Square
Wellington 6141

To ensure that the contact information we hold about you is accurate and current, please notify us of any changes to such information as soon as possible.

Contacting NCIWR

Any emergency relating to domestic violence should be directed to 111 for New Zealand Police assistance.

If you request assistance through this website, we will endeavour to respond as soon as we can. If you require advocacy services phone 0800 REFUGE or 0800 733 843 to talk to a refuge in your area within New Zealand. All member refuges of NCIWR are listed on our main website ( If you do visit the Women’s Refuge Website, please note that it is a traceable site so we recommend you use the online safety tips found on this web application to visit safely.

Advocacy services are available at member refuges. Your call and information will be treated in confidence and privacy.

Changes to our privacy policy

We reserve the right, at our discretion, to alter this privacy policy at any time. Changes to this privacy policy will take effect immediately once they are published on this web application. Please check this privacy policy regularly for modifications and updates. If you continue to use this web application or if you provide any personal information after we post changes to this privacy policy, this will indicate your acceptance of any such changes.

This privacy policy was last updated on 6 October 2015.

If You’re In
Immediate danger

If you fear for your safety:

  1. Run outside and head for where there are other people.
  2. Ask someone to call 111
  3. If you have children take them with you if you can
  4. Don't stop to get anything else