Auckland Transport is looking to upgrade Murphys Road in order to support large housing and employment growth in the area.
- Important information about Murphys Road closure.
- Read about Murphys Road upgrade.
- Find out about Stage 2 between Ormiston Road and Flat Bush School Road.
Project status: Construction.
Project zone: South.
Flat Bush is been recognised as an area that will experience significant growth in the coming years. This growth need to be supported by building arterial roads, bus routes, pedestrian facilities, and cycling facilities.
As part of this development, the section of Murphys Road between Ormiston Road and Flat Bush School Road need to be widened and the existing culverts upgraded to accommodate the 15,600 vehicles using Murphys Road each day.
The objectives of this project are to:
- transform Murphys Road, between Ormiston Road and Flat Bush School Road, from a rural road to a one that can contend with the 15,600 vehicles per day in 2020.
- widen Murphys Road from one to two lanes in each direction to accommodate the predicted future traffic growth and improve travel time reliability.
- improve vehicle safety, including safer turning movements at intersections.
- install walking and cycling facilities which are currently non-existent.
- provide pedestrian access across Murphys Road, including a walking & cycling connection near the stream.
- construct a stream crossing to replace the existing culvert, which was built in 1966 and no longer meets design standards.
Preparing to install the culvert.
Auckland Transport will upgrade Murphys Road in two stages:
- Stage 1
- Service relocation between Geranium Avenue and Flat Bush School Road - Complete.
- Stage 2
- Civil works from Ormiston Road to Flat Bush School Road (approximately 900 metre section).
- Service relocation between Ormiston Road and Geranium Avenue.
- Improved transport access for Manukau, Flat Bush, Takanini, Papakura and Drury.
- Improved travel times and safer roads for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.
- Improved safety for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.
- Improved access to open spaces, community services and facilities.
- Flexibility to support future growth in the area.
Stage 2 of the Murphys Road upgrade will take place between Ormiston Road and Flat Bush School Road and includes:
- Widening the road to provide two additional lanes, one in each direction.
- Replacing the existing culvert south of Ormiston Road with a larger triple-box culvert.
- Construction of shared path along the entire length of Murphys Road.
- New traffic signals at the intersection of Murphys Road and Kerrykeel Drive.
- New signalised pedestrian and cycle crossing points north of Geranium Avenue.
- New signalised pedestrian crossing south of Horsefields Drive.
- A shared path on the south side of the culvert linking to the existing park cycleway.
- Services relocations.
- Undergrounding of overhead services.
- Landscaping and planting works.
- Streetlight installation.
Map of Murphys Road upgrade - Stage 2
All existing traffic movements on Murphys Road will be maintained and a safe footpath will be maintained for pedestrians and cyclists to use at all times.
Generally, hours of work are 7am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. We may need to work outside these hours, and/or work at night on occasion. We will communicate these works in advance and will have a noise management plan in place to ensure disruption and inconvenience is minimised as much as possible.
As a live construction site traffic delays can be expected.
Widening Murphys Road to four lanes.