Auckland Transport is looking to upgrade Murphys Road in order to support large housing and employment growth in the area.
- Read about Murphys Road upgrade
- Find out about Stage 2 between Ormiston Road and Flat Bush School Road
Project status: Construction.
Project zone: South.
Auckland Transport will upgrade Murphys Road in two stages:
- Stage 1
- Service relocation between Geranium Avenue and Flat Bush School Road - Complete.
- Stage 2
- Civil works from Ormiston Road to Flat Bush School Road (approximately 900 metre section).
- Service relocation between Ormiston Road and Geranium Avenue.
- Improved transport access for Manukau, Flat Bush, Takanini, Papakura and Drury.
- Improved travel times and safer roads for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.
- Improved safety for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.
- Improved access to open spaces, community services and facilities.
- Flexibility to support future growth in the area.
Stage 2 of the Murphys Road upgrade will take place between Ormiston Road and Flat Bush School Road and includes:
- Widening the road to provide two additional lanes, one in each direction.
- Replacing the existing culvert south of Ormiston Road with a larger triple-box culvert.
- Construction of shared path along the entire length of Murphys Road.
- New traffic signals at the intersection of Murphys Road and Kerrykeel Drive.
- New signalised pedestrian and cycle crossing points north of Geranium Avenue.
- New signalised pedestrian crossing south of Horsefields Drive.
- Two new bus stops.
- A shared path on the south side of the culvert linking to the park cycleway.
- Services relocations.
- Undergrounding of overhead services.
- Landscaping and planting works.
- Streetlight installation.
- Road pavement construction.
Map of Murphys Road upgrade - Stage 2
A section of Murphys Road will be temporarily closed during the culvert replacement. Approved detours will be in place and access for residents will be maintained. Culvert replacement is currently scheduled to start in November 2019.
All existing traffic movements on Murphys Road will be maintained and a safe footpath will be maintained for pedestrians and cyclists to use at all times.
Generally, hours of work are 7am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. We may need to work outside these hours, and/or work at night on occasion. We will communicate these works in advance and will have a noise management plan in place to ensure disruption and inconvenience is minimised as much as possible.
As a live construction site traffic delays can be expected.