We want to connect communities, improve safety, improve transport options, and develop thriving town centres on the route from Anzac Avenue in the city, Symonds Street, and along New North Road to Avondale.
Project status: Consultation - feedback closes 3 March 2021.
Project zone: Central
The route from Anzac Avenue in the city, along Symonds Street and New North Road to Avondale connects West Auckland to the City Centre, through many of our central and western suburbs.
We have identified some key issues on this route that we want to work with you to fix. These issues include safety, poor bus reliability, lack of separated cycle lanes and quiet town centres. Over the coming years we're likely to see significant population growth along this route and demand for safe and efficient transport will increase.
The changes we make will fit in with other projects such as City Rail Link (CRL), Urban Cycleway Programme and our 10-Year Programme. While these upgrades are planned for future years, we want to work with our local communities now to find solutions.
We want to make sure the upgrades are completed to fit in with future developments such as City Rail Link and events such as the Women’s Football World Cup in 2023.
Connecting our communities
This project has been set up to future connect Auckland's transport network in a more safe, sustainable, and efficient way. This transformation will help us offer Aucklanders more travel options.
As Auckland's population increases and more people join the road network, we must find ways to make it safer and easier for people to move around the region.
We need to get the most out of our transport network and believe our communities have important knowledge that we can use to help improve our regions transport.
- Improved safety by reducing deaths and serious injuries.
- Better cycling facilities so it's safer and easier for people on bikes.
- Improved bus reliability and public transport connections.
- Supporting thriving town centres.
- 2 February 2021 - Feedback opens.
- 3 March 2021 - Feedback closes.
- Mid 2021 - Begin co-design improvements with key stakeholders and the community.
- Late 2021 - Develop solutions based on initial feedback from people and investigation by AT staff.
- 2022 - Preferred option(s) identified, and consents obtained.
- 2023 – Construction completed in sections.
We are looking to improve safety, public transport, walking, cycling and other active modes on New North Road, Symonds Street, including Anzac Avenue, Morningside Drive, St Lukes Road (from Morningside Drive to New North Road) and Rosebank Road (from Blockhouse Bay Road to Avondale Road).
New North Road provides connections to key locations, such as the universities, Eden Park and the business and retail focused area of Kingsland, Morningside, St Lukes, Mt Albert and Avondale.
We want to hear from you about how we can make improvements and help shape our city moving forward.
Feedback closes Wednesday, 3 March 2021.
You can provide feedback by
You can speak to the project team in person. Just turn up at any time during one of our drop-in sessions and our team will be there to answer any questions you may have:
- Thursday, 25 February, 4:30pm to 7:30 pm - Mt Albert Community Centre, 773 New North Road
- Saturday, 27 February, 10:30am to 1:30 pm - St Lukes Anglican Church, 704 New North Road.