Auckland Transport (AT) is making some changes to how you will get to and through Newmarket by bus, car and, when you are there, on foot.
Project status: Consultation - feedback open until 14 May 2020
Project zone: Central
The number of people visiting Newmarket is expected to increase significantly because of retail developments in the area. As a result, Auckland Transport is making some changes to how you will get to and through Newmarket by bus and car. We’re also making improvements to your experience of being there on foot.
Some of these changes are trials, some are temporary and some permanent. Below, you will find more detail about these changes. Together, they will make getting to, through and around Newmarket as safe and easy as possible.
Map showing the Newmarket access improvement details.
- Helping to keep buses running on time, and encouraging people to consider car-pooling/public transport, to get more cars off the road.
- Improving pedestrian safety at the crossing to Teed Street from the Newmarket Station exit onto Broadway.
- Ensuring we can better monitor traffic movements so that we can better respond to traffic conditions.
- Being better able to inform people about traffic conditions in and around Newmarket.
- Helping people find and access public transport.
- Improving the intersections of Broadway and Remuera Road and Remuera Road & Nuffield Street.
- Six-month bus and transit lane trials start – 14 November 2019.
- Temporary change to the crossing to Teed Street – from late 2019.
- Installing additional CCTV and electronic signage – from late 2019.
- Installing improved signage around Newmarket and Newmarket Station – from early to mid-November 2019.
- Improving the crossing at Remuera Road and Broadway – early November 2019.
- Improving the crossing at Remuera Road and Nuffield Street – early November 2019.
- Feedback closed on bus and transit lane trial – 14 May 2020.
Auckland Transport is making some changes to how you will get to and through Newmarket by bus, car and, when you are there, on foot.
Some of these changes are trials, some are temporary and some permanent.
- Changing bus lane operating hours.
- Changing transit lane (T3) operating hours.
- Making the crossing from Newmarket Station to Teed Street, across Broadway, safer.
- A range of improvements to help manage traffic.
- Signage to help you find your way around Newmarket and locate public transport.
- Improving the pedestrian crossings at the intersections of Remuera Road & Nuffield Street and Remuera Road & Broadway.
The number of people visiting Newmarket is expected to increase significantly because of retail developments in the area. Together, these changes will make getting to and through Newmarket by bus, car and as a pedestrian as safe and easy as possible.
Trials: extending bus and transit lane operating hours
Several buses travel through Newmarket, including 30, 70, 75, 295, 309, 751, 781, 866, the Inner Link and the Outer Link. Transit lanes around Newmarket are for vehicles carrying three or more people, as well as for passenger service vehicles, bicycles, motorbikes and mopeds.
Making sure that our buses and transit lanes get people where they want to go, as quickly as possible, is important for encouraging people to use our public transport services and to think about car-pooling.
The trials will start on 14 November 2019 and run for six months.
||Transit lanes (T3)
- Remuera Road (towards Newmarket, between Market Road and Broadway): 7am to 10am, Monday to Friday, only.
- Manukau Road (towards Newmarket, between Ranfurly Road and Broadway, including the clearway between Owens Road and Broadway): 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm, Monday to Friday.
- Broadway and Khyber Pass: 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm, Monday to Friday, only.
- Great South Road (towards Newmarket, between Market Road and Broadway): 7am to 10am, Monday to Friday, only.
|During the trial
||Extending the T3 operating hours, on the above roads:
- Add 11am to 3pm, Saturday and Sunday, on both sides of the roads.
|Extending the bus lane operating hours on these roads
- Broadway and Khyber Pass: change to 7am to 7pm, Monday to Sunday.
- Great South Road: add 11am and 3pm on Saturday and Sunday.
Temporary: pedestrian safety improvements
Local people and businesses have told us that the Broadway crossing to Teed Street from the exit of Newmarket Station does not feel safe.
To address these concerns, we will be putting in some temporary measures, as soon as possible, to make sure pedestrians have a good view of the road and to make the crossing more obvious to drivers. To improve sight lines for pedestrians we will need to remove a small amount of parking on Broadway.
In the longer term, we will explore installing a signalised crossing here.
The permanent improvements we are making are:
Traffic management improvements
- Changing the left-hand lane at the intersection of Khyber Pass and Crowhurst Street to left-turn only. Buses may still proceed straight ahead.
- Increasing the number of CCTV cameras to better manage traffic. One camera will monitor the crossing over Broadway to Teed Street.
- Increasing the number of Variable Message Signs (electronic signs) so that people travelling to or through Newmarket have a better idea of what the traffic is like.
Finding public transport and accessing it
- Improving signage to make finding Newmarket Station and bus stops easier.
- Improving access to the train station.
The crossing from Newmarket Station to Nuffield Street
- Realigning the crossing to make it more direct.
The intersection of Broadway and Remuera Road
- We are moving the sculpture on the western side of Broadway to provide more space on the footpath for pedestrians crossing at this location.
- The sculpture will be relocated to Olympic Park, on the corner of Broadway and Davis Crescent.
- Tactile markers will be upgraded to make the crossing safer for the vision impaired.
The wall on the south-east side of the crossing will receive some maintenance.
Encouraging people on foot to use Nuffield Street to access the mall on busy days
Broadway is going to be busy. By encouraging people on foot to use multiple routes to get around Newmarket, no single area will experience too much congestion.
- Temporary changes will be made to Nuffield Street on busy days to encourage more pedestrians to use this route.
- Changes will be made in partnership with local businesses and the Newmarket Business Association.
These may include events, such as pocket parks and street music.
Encouraging people to use public transport
- We are undertaking a comprehensive marketing campaign to encourage people to use public transport when they choose to go to Newmarket, now and into the future.
Have your say
We want to ensure these changes make access to and through Newmarket safe and easy. Your feedback on the changes will help us decide the final design of the project.
Come talk to us
Come and meet members of the project team at Newmarket Station Square (the shop beside the Broadway laneway entrance). You can discuss the project, learn what else is happening in Newmarket and provide feedback:
- Monday 11 November, 4.30pm to 6:30pm - Newmarket Station Square.
After feedback closes
Once the trial period for the bus and transit lane changes closes, we will consider the feedback we have received alongside the monitoring we have done on the impact of the trial on congestion and bus journey times.
For more information on this project
Contact Auckland Transport