After considering public feedback Auckland Transport (AT) has decided to progress the Newmarket residential parking zone through to implementation.
- Find out about the residential parking zone proposed for Newmarket.
- Read the public feedback report.
Project status: Detailed design
Project zone: Central
To provide greater parking availability and flexibility Auckland Transport is progressing a new residential parking zone in Newmarket. The proposal is a response to multiple requests from the community and high occupancy rates of on-street parking in the area (regularly above 85% occupancy at peak times).
- The zone will include the entirety of Seccombes Road, Maungawhau Road and Almorah Place.
- Time restrictions of two hours (P120), Monday to Sunday, 8am to 6pm, which will only apply to vehicles that do not have permits or coupons.
- The P120 time restriction will replace most the existing parking restrictions in the area. However, the parking restrictions shown on the map will remain in place. Vehicles with residential parking permits or coupons will not be exempted from the existing parking restrictions that are to remain in place.
- All existing residential parking schemes such as Resident Only Permits, and Resident Exempt Permit Holders will be replaced by the new proposed zone. Existing holders of the permits will need to apply under the new zone.
- Provide greater parking availability and flexibility for residents, business and visitors.
- The two-hour time restriction supports parking for business customers and casual residential visitors, while not allowing for non-resident long-term parking.
- Reduce congestion from vehicles driving around looking for parking spaces.
- Less circling vehicles should also improve pedestrian safety in the area.
- Reduce incidences of parked vehicles obstructing driveways, as vehicles do not have to park in marginal spaces.
- 28 October 2019 - Consultation opens on residential parking zone in Newmarket.
- 24 November 2019 - Consultation closes.
- November to December - Public feedback considered.
- April 2020 - Public feedback report published.
- June 2020 – Tentative opening day of the residential parking zone (dependent on how the COVID-19 situation progresses). Auckland Transport will be in touch with residents and local businesses 6-8 weeks before the opening day of the residential parking zone.
Residential parking zones
A residential parking zone is a collection of residential streets upon which a parking restriction is applied. It allows short term parking for visitors, and all-day parking for coupon and permit holders.
Within the residential parking zone all residents and businesses can apply for a parking permit, which will exempt them from the time restrictions. They can also obtain parking coupons that allow visitors to be exempt from the restrictions for a day.
We sought public feedback on the project between 28 October and 24 November 2019.
Public feedback and project decisions
After considering the public feedback we have decided to progress the project through to implementation, subject to the following change in response to public feedback:
- Change the existing P5 Mon-Sat parking restrictions on Seccombes Road to P5 Mon-Fri.
For more information read the public feedback report (PDF 653KB), which provides an overview of the feedback received and AT’s responses to key feedback themes.
Auckland Transport will be in touch with residents and local businesses 6-8 weeks before the opening day of the residential parking zone. The opening day is yet to be confirmed, but at this stage we are aiming for June 2020.