AT proposes to install 2.5m-wide ‘clip ons’ on both sides of Ngapipi bridge (on Tamaki Drive) to provide new footpaths and convert the existing footpaths into cycleways.
Project status: Consultation open until 8 October 2017
Project zone: Central
Image: Artist's impression of the widened Ngapipi bridge.
Better walking and cycling facilities on Ngapipi bridge are a key part of the wider programme of improvements in the Ōrākei area, including the Tamaki Drive Cycle Route and the Tamaki Drive-Ngapipi Road intersection upgrade.
Once the bridge is widened, the existing footpath on the northern (seaward) side of the bridge will become a separated 2-way cycleway, while the shared path on the southern side will be converted into a 1-way, on-road cycling route.
This proposal follows detailed surveys to assess the integrity of the bridge, which found no requirement to replace it. The existing lane widths sufficiently accommodate safe vehicle movement.
Map of improvements
- Improvements for pedestrians and people on bikes.
- Builds on the pedestrian and cycling improvements being delivered as part of the Tamaki Drive-Ngapipi Road intersection upgrade.
- Extends the Tamaki Drive Cycle Route (plans revised following consultation in June 2017) to Ngapipi intersection, where it connects to the Glen Innes to Tamaki Drive Shared Path (feedback on the path's preferred route is now open).
- September/October 2017: Public feedback.
- Mid-late 2018: Construction.
We want your feedback to help us improve and refine the proposal to widen Ngapipi bridge. Feedback is open until Sunday, 8 October 2017.
If you have difficulty completing the form, you can call us on (09) 355 3553 and our contact centre staff will fill in the feedback form with you over the phone.
Come and talk to us
Talk to us in person on:
- Wednesday 20 September, 7am to 10am at Lilliputt Mini Golf car park, 3 Tamaki Drive, Parnell.
- Saturday 23 September, 8am to 11am at Orakei Bay Village 228 Orakei Road, Remuera.
After feedback closes
We will consider all feedback and use it to help refine the design. We will also publish a report on the feedback, including any changes made to the proposal following the feedback period. If you provide your contact details when you give us feedback we will notify you when the report is available.
The bridge widening is expected to get under way after the Tamaki Drive-Ngapipi Road intersection upgrade is completed in mid-late 2018.