Ngāpipi Bridge Widening Ngāpipi Bridge Widening
We are constructing a standalone footbridge on Ngāpipi Bridge (on Tamaki Drive) to provide a new footpath while converting the existing footpath into a cycleway.
Project status: Construction
Project zone: Central
Image: Artist's impression of the widened Ngāpipi Bridge. Please note: Ngā mahi toi (cultural artwork) is an example only.
Better walking and cycling facilities on Ngāpipi Bridge are a key part of the wider programme of improvements in the Ōrākei area, including the works on Tamaki Drive and Kepa Road.
Ngāpipi Bridge currently represents a pinch point, with the 3m wide footpaths shared by people walking and cycling. Widening the bridge will expand the area available for people on foot and bike and create a seamless connection between cycleways to the west (Tamaki Drive Cycle Route) and east of the bridge. Widening the bridge also allows the existing 4 traffic lanes to remain the same.
- dedicated facilities for pedestrians and people on bikes
- provides the link to the previously constructed walking and cycling facilities at the Tamaki Drive and Ngāpipi Road intersection upgrade
- provides the connection between the Tamaki Drive Cycle Route and the Ngāpipi intersection, which connects to the Glen Innes - Tamaki Drive Shared Path.
- January 2023 – Construction begins
- October 2023 – Estimated completion