In the last two years, the number of vehicles using Pararekau Road each day has more than doubled from 717 vehicles (June 2018) to 1665 (April 2019). The road needs to be redesigned for the future.
Project status: Construction
Project zone: South
As a result of an increase in the number of people using Pararekau Road, the road surface has deteriorated and requires improving.
Auckland Transport is aware that the Karaka/Hingaia community has been waiting for the road surface to be improved for some time. We apologise for the delay in undertaking this work.
Auckland Transport wants to make our roads safe for everyone – people walking and cycling, especially our kids and senior citizens, as well as people driving. Projects like this are another step towards our Vision Zero goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads.
Immediate, temporary work
Between Sunday, 5 April 2020 and Wednesday 8 April, Auckland Transport will undertake work to temporarily improve the road surface on Pararekau Road. This work will take one day to complete, depending on the weather, and will improve the road surface over the winter period.
- Safety improvements
- Upgraded storm water system
- Renewed footpath and road surface.
- Early April 2020 - Immediate, temporary work to improve the surface the Pararekau Road for the winter period
- Spring 2020 - Permanent improvement works to rebuild the road for the increasing number of people who are using it every day.
In spring, we will start work to rebuild the road for the increasing number of people who are using it every day. This work includes significant underground works, which unfortunately cannot be started until after the winter period.
This work will include improving the alignment, profile, and cross-section of the road, which will address stormwater run-off, as well as the resurfacing of 700 metres of road pavement, kerb, channel, footpath work, and an underground stormwater upgrade.
- Access to businesses and people’s residences will be uninterrupted.
- All residents affected by the work will receive advance warning of temporary traffic management required to undertake the work.
- If there is any impact on trees, Auckland Transport will engage with private property owners on a one-on-one basis.
- A public information event was planned but the date and timing of it has been affected by concerns around COVID-19.
After the work is complete
At the conclusion of the work, people will see both safety and stormwater improvements.
The work focuses on:
- geometric improvement (improving the slope of the road away from the middle of the road so that water better runs off the surface)
- road pavement repair/reconstruction of approximately a 700 metre section of the road
- renewed kerb/channel and footpath
- stormwater upgrade/improvement