We are now halfway through the project, with work at the Norfolk, Douglas, and Lincoln Street intersections with Ponsonby Road complete.
- Work is now underway on the Anglesea Street intersection with Ponsonby Road and is expected to take 7 weeks.
- Work on the Brown St intersection began today, 4 September, and will take approximately 6 weeks.
- Work on the Pollen St intersection will be complete by mid-November 2017.
- Some remedial work needs to be undertaken at Mackelvie Street. This is expected to take around 8 days and will take place outside business hours to minimise inconvenience.
- New street furniture will be installed in November after most of the construction work at the intersections has been done.
- The Collingwood Street and Ponsonby Road intersection improvements have been deferred until early 2018 to allow for the completion of private construction works nearby.
Work on the intersection of Anglesea St with Ponsonby Rd is now underway.
The intersection will be closed while work is underway for up to 7 weeks. Traffic management is in place.
Work on the Stage 3: Douglas Street and Norfolk Streets began on Monday, 15 May.
Road closures are in place at the intersections of both streets with Ponsonby Road and traffic management is in place. The work is scheduled to take 4 weeks to complete.
Severe weather and underground drainage issues have delayed the Stage 2: Ponsonby Road and MacKelvie Street streetscaping and upgrade works. We expect to complete these works on or before 12 May.
Read the media release: Ponsonby Road pedestrian improvements programme begins.
From 27 February 2017, Lincoln Street at the intersection with Ponsonby Road will be closed for the first stage of pedestrian improvement works. These works are expected to take approximately 3 weeks.
Access to Lincoln Street via John Street/Richmond Road is unaffected.
We had planned to undertake works at the intersection of Norfolk Street and Ponsonby Road at the same time as the Lincoln Street works; however, the Norfolk Street works will now be done at a later date to minimise disruption to residents of both streets.
We will begin main construction works for the Ponsonby Road pedestrian improvements project from Monday, 27 February. Stage 1 of the project is taking place at the Lincoln Road and Norfolk Street intersections on Ponsonby Road. These works are expected to take approximately 3 weeks and will involve restricted vehicular access to both streets from Ponsonby Road.
The remainder of the works
Our contractor, Downer NZ, will have a comprehensive Traffic Management Plan in place to assist pedestrians and motorists and ensure minimal disruption for the duration of this project.
Download the final overall plan of pedestrian improvements along Ponsonby Road. (PDF 3.3MB)
Our contractor Downer NZ has begun preliminary investigations along Ponsonby Road in advance of physical construction commencing in late February.
These investigations will take place at eight streets that intersect with Ponsonby Road: Collingwood Street, Lincoln Street, Anglesea Street, Norfolk Street, Douglas Street, Brown Street, MacKelvie Street and Pollen Street.
We have instructed our contractor to meet with the businesses on each corner to discuss timing prior to works starting.
Read more about the preliminary investigations. (PDF 533KB)
2 November 2016
We have released the consultation and final decisions report and updated final plans for the Ponsonby Road pedestrian improvements.
1 August 2016
Feedback has now closed for Ponsonby Road pedestrian improvements.
15 July 2016
We are seeking feedback on the detailed designs for this project until 31 July 2016.