Princes Street connection - Riverhead Princes Street connection - Riverhead
Auckland Transport (AT) is proposing to connect the two separate sections of Princes Street in Riverhead together to improve the efficiency and function of the street.
- Find out about the Princes Street connection, Riverhead.
- Read the public feedback report for Princes Street connection.
Project status: Cancelled - last updated 27 November 2020.
Project zone: North-West
Auckland Transport (AT) is working to deliver an effective transportation network that keeps Auckland moving and work alongside communities to meet their needs.
As part of this long term plan, AT are looking to connect the two separate sections of Princes Street in Riverhead together, in order to improve the efficiency and function of the street.
- Improve facilities for pedestrians.
- Improve the aesthetic of the area.
- Provide better road connectivity for a growing community.
- Improve access for emergency vehicles and waste collection services.
- 25 June 2018 - Consultation opens.
- 15 July 2018 - Consultation closes.
Proposed works for the Princes Street connection in Riverhead
- Construct a new road connection to connect the two separate sections of Princes Street.
- Excavate the berm.
- Remove wattle trees opposite George Street along existing paper road.
- Construct a footpath on the north side.
- Add a pram crossing at the George Street intersection to improve safety for pedestrians.
Road and safety improvements
- Investigate the addition of one street light.
- Remove existing wattle trees to ensure thoroughfare and adequate visibility for vehicles.
Design plan and construction
Download the design plan for Princes Street connection in Riverhead (PDF 1.86MB)
The construction period is estimated to take two months if the project is to go ahead as proposed.
AT will aim to mitigate disruption to the community as much as possible and will ensure advance notice is given to residents before construction takes place.
We asked for feedback from the 25 June to 15 July 2018 and received 39 responses.
Feedback was mixed with most residents closest to the proposed changes not supportive of the proposal.
AT has read and reviewed all feedback received during the consultation and carefully thought about what residents want as well as what funding options are available. As a direct result of feedback and further investigation, as well as funding uncertainty we have decided not to proceed with this proposal.
We have created a public feedback report which summarises the feedback received.
Download the Princes Street connection public feedback report (PDF 554KB, 19 pages).