Auckland Transport (AT) is working alongside the Hibiscus and Bays Local Board to make changes to roads in the Torbay town centre in order to improve safety and accessibility for all road users.
Project status: Consultation - feedback closed 14 December 2018.
Project zone: North.
We are proposing to make changes to roads in the Torbay town centre in order to improve safety and accessibility for all road users, especially children and people walking and cycling.
80% of all road deaths and serious injuries occur on 50km/h local urban roads. Nearly half of those deaths and injuries involve vulnerable road users – children, the elderly, people walking and people on bikes or motorcycles. AT is committed to making the roads safer for all road users and these changes will help improve safety for people walking and cycling including school children.
Caption: Artists impression of improvements to Toroa Street and Beach Road intersection.
The improvements proposed include:
- A new zebra crossing on the raised table on the southern side of the Beach Road/Toroa Street roundabout.
- Build out the kerbs near the Beach Road and County Road intersection, the Beach Road and Toroa Street intersection and north of the Beach Road and Deep Creek Road intersection to help encourage slower vehicle speeds upon entry to the town centre.
- Moving the bus stop on Beach Road opposite Chand Indian Restaurant by a few metres to enable buses easier access to the bus stop. This will mean removal of one car parking space.
- Introduction of three 30 minute waiting spaces (P30) on Toroa Street near its intersection with Beach Road.
The proposed speed calming measures will also enable the speed limit in the project area to be reduced to 30km/h in the future - as a part of the upcoming speed limit bylaw change. Consultation on this proposed bylaw will take place in early 2019.
The aim of the project is to improve safety for all road users. Hibiscus and Bays Local Board see these changes as important and are funding the proposed improvements.
Proposed location of town centre safety improvements, shown in detailed plans:
- Download the detailed design plans and locations of the proposed town centre safety improvements for Torbay (PDF 3MB).
We plan to implement these measures in mid 2019.
These improvements are part of AT's commitment to reducing the number of deaths and serious injuries on our roads by 60% over the next 10 years.
Before we make these changes, we wanted to understand if there are any issues or concerns that need to be taken into consideration, what you think about the proposal and any changes you would like to make. Your local knowledge will give us a better understanding of the area and help us make improvements.
Feedback closed Friday 14 December 2018.
All feedback will be taken into consideration. We will prepare a report on the feedback received and any changes made to the proposal as a result. The report will be published online, if you provided your contact details when giving us feedback, we will notify you when the report is available.