The upgrade of the Taharoto-Wairau road corridor is now virtually complete. The Wairau Road/Forrest Hill Road and Nile Road/Forrest Hill Road intersections have been upgraded and the old Wairau Creek Bridge has been replaced.
An artist's impression of how the intersection may look.
The project provides significant improvements to two intersections: Wairau Road/Forrest Hill Road and Nile Road/Forrest Hill Road.
The development included replacement of the old northbound Wairau Creek Bridge, built in 1939. The road surface on the new bridge has been raised to the same level as the other existing Wairau Road traffic lanes.
The $4.2 million improvements were part of the seven-stage Taharoto-Wairau Road upgrade started in 2006 under the former North Shore City Council.
Construction was undertaken by contractor Dempsey Wood Civil Ltd.
Features and benefits
The upgrade bought a number of other benefits for all road users. These include:
- Replacement of an outdated bridge that allows for increased road capacity;
- Additional traffic lanes to help ease congestion;
- On-road cycle lanes for commuters and confident cyclists;
- Off-road cycle lanes around school areas to cater for younger and less experienced cyclists;
- Larger and better quality footpaths;
- Additional pedestrian islands to help people cross the road safely;
- Landscaping and undergrounding of overhead power and telecommunication lines to improve the look of the area;
- Improved intersections due to the installation of traffic lights and additional marked lanes;
- Resurfacing of the road for a smoother journey.
The intersection improvements and bridge replacement are part of the seven-stage Taharoto-Wairau Road Upgrade started in 2006 under the former North Shore City Council.
Other stages include a section of Wairau Road outside Westlake Girls High School, the Wairau Road/Shakespeare Road/Taharoto Road intersection, a section of Taharoto Road between Shakespeare Road and Northcote Road, and improvements to Shakespeare Road and the North Shore Hospital entrance.
The final stage widens Wairau Road between the Wairau/Forrest Hill intersection and Shakespeare Road.
The main project works include:
- replacement of the Wairau Creek Bridge to allow for increased road capacity;
- additional traffic lanes to help ease congestion;
- on-road cycle lanes for commuters and confident cyclists;
- off-road cycle lanes around school areas;
- larger and better quality footpaths;
- additional pedestrian islands;
- undergrounding of overhead power and telecommunication lines;
- traffic lights and additional marked lanes at intersections;
- road resurfacing;
Need more information?