Auckland Transport (AT) is upgrading the intersection of Tamaki Drive and Ngapipi Road, Orakei, to improve safety for cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists.
Project status: Design
Project zone: Central
- One of the top intersection-safety-improvement projects for Auckland.
- Tamaki-Ngapipi is ranked number 10 on the national top-100 list of crash-risk intersections.
- 21 crashes have been recorded at the intersection in the past 5 years, with 13 resulting in injury.
- Analysis of the causes of these crashes indicates that redesigning the intersection to better regulate vehicle movement will improve safety and amenity for all users.
- Improved management of traffic flows and delays.
- Reduced vehicle/cyclist conflict.
- Improved access and safety.
- 2013 - Design options considered. Traffic lights identified as preferred option. Consultation.
- 2014/15 - Consultation concluded. Concept design developed.
- 2016 - Consent process.
- Mid 2017 - Begin construction (scheduled).
- Mid 2018 - Upgrade complete.
AT recognises the aspirations of the Orākei Local Board and the vision for Tamaki Drive outlined in the Tamaki Drive Masterplan. We recognise that Tamaki Drive is both an access way to and from the city and one of the most popular scenic and recreational routes in the Auckland region. Tamaki Drive is also a place of significant cultural importance for Māori.
Our upgrade design aims to encourage this shared use, by reducing conflict points and maintaining efficient movement through the intersection.
We consulted with the Auckland community and local residents on the proposal to install traffic lights in late 2013.
In August 2016, AT applied to Auckland Council for resource consent for the intersection upgrade. The consent application was notified, and the public could make submissions from 18 August until 23 September 2016.
In January 2017, resource consent was granted for the work.
- Traffic lights and push-button pedestrian crossings.
- Shared path upgrade.
- Cycle lanes and advance cycle boxes.
- Additional left-turn lane on Ngapipi Road.
Additionallane on the westbound approach to the intersection.
- Seawall extension to create space for improvements.
- Preservation of existing pōhutukawa trees on Ngapipi Road.
Concept design images
Artist's impression of the intersection looking east
Artist's impression of the intersection looking west