Auckland Transport (AT) is developing a new train station at Parnell. The new station, at the foot of Cheshire Street, will be developed in 2 stages.
The station opened for limited services on 12 March 2017, before Stage 1 is fully completed.
Stage 2 will be developed at a later date, to complete the station and its environs to full standard. Comprehensive services will be scheduled when other network and timetable developments are completed.
Project status: Construction
Project zone: Central
- Stage 1 includes a basic station and platforms.
- Initial basic station will be connected via the existing underpass which also connects Parnell and the Auckland Domain.
- The old Newmarket Station building has been relocated to the site and its exterior is being refurbished.
- A new path from the station to Carlaw Park/Nicholls Lane and Stanley Street is under development. Joint funding has been provided by the Waitamata Local Board.
- Ticket gates will be installed from late-2017.
- Stage 2 will comprise further enhancements to improve the station access. The dates and funding for these works are to be confirmed.
- When the full station is in full use, more than 2000 passengers are forecast to get off the train at Parnell in morning peaks.
- Assist the regeneration/future growth of Parnell.
- Serve students and faculty of the University of Auckland.
- Provide access by rail for:
- Local business areas around lower Parnell.
- Parnell Village.
- The Domain and Museum.
- Stanley St and Beach Road.
- The university through existing and future pedestrian connections.
The total cost is budgeted at $18.9 million (Stage 1: $12 million).
- April 2015 - Stage 1 started.
- November 2015 - Platforms completed.
- Late 2016 - KiwiRail to relocate the Newmarket station building to site.
- March 2017 - Station open for limited services
- Late 2017 - Stage 1 complete (scheduled), including ticket gates and footpath link to Carlaw Park/Nicholls lane.
Station features from 12 March 2017
- Two platforms with shelters, lighting, help points, Public Address, security, ticketing and tag on/off machines.
- Newmarket Station building (a historic Vogel station, opened in 1908) is in place and the exterior is being refurbished by KiwiRail.
- Main station pedestrian entry and exit via Cheshire Street. Entry to the platform is via temporary stairs.
- An underpass connecting the platforms.
- Vehicle access to the station is not available. Further development will continue during 2017.
Train services from 12 March
- All Southern Line trains stop at Parnell.
- Western Line trains stop at Parnell after 7pm week days and on weekends.
- Onehunga Line trains do not stop at Parnell.
- Special event services and rail bus replacements do not stop at Parnell.
Stage 1 when complete
When complete, Stage 1 will include:
- Improved platform access.
- Electronic ticket gates.
- Formal pathway/road to Cheshire Street
- Mobility parking and a drop-off/pick-up area.
- Footpath link to Nicholls Lane and the University.
- Fully refurbished station building (exterior) with shelter under the verandas.
AT is reviewing options to improve access to the station and between the platforms. This will consider a closer crossing point between the platforms.
Further enhanced shelter will be considered for the platforms.
Stage 2 enhancements are not yet planned or scheduled, but can be expected to bring the basic station to the same level of amenity as other similar stations in the network.