Auckland Transport (AT) is upgrading Parnell train station. The station, at the foot of Cheshire Street, will be upgraded in two stages.
The station opened for limited services on 12 March 2017, during the Stage 1 upgrade.
Stage 1 includes a basis station and platform upgrade to improve station access. It will also link the rail station to a new path to Carlaw Park/Nicholls Lane and Stanley Street.
Stage 2 will comprise further enhancements to improve the station access. Comprehensive services will be scheduled when other network and timetable developments are completed.
Project status: Construction
Project zone: Central
- Stage 1 includes a platform upgrade with shelters, lighting, help points, ticketing and tag on/off machines.
- Pedestrians, train customers and commuters will be connected via the existing underpass, which connects Parnell and the Auckland Domain.
- The old Newmarket Station building has been relocated to the site and its exterior is being refurbished.
- A new path from the station to Carlaw Park/Nicholls Lane and Stanley Street is under development.
- Joint funding has been provided by the Waitamata Local Board.
- Ticket gates will be installed from late-2018.
- Stage 2 will comprise further enhancements to improve the station access. The dates and funding for these works are to be confirmed.
- When the full station is in full use, more than 2000 passengers are forecast to get off the train at Parnell in morning peaks.
- Assist the regeneration/future growth of Parnell.
- Serve students and faculty of the University of Auckland.
- Provide access by rail for:
- Local business areas around Parnell.
- Parnell Village.
- The Domain and Museum.
- Stanley St and Beach Road.
- Nichollas Lane and Carlaw Park.
The total cost is budgeted at $18.9 million (Stage 1: $12 million).
- April 2015 - Stage 1 started.
- November 2015 - Platforms completed.
- Late 2016 - KiwiRail to relocate the Newmarket station building to site.
- March 2017 - Station open for limited services
- Late 2018 - Stage 1 complete (scheduled), including ticket gates and footpath link to Carlaw Park and Nicholls lane.
Station features from 12 March 2017
- Two platforms with shelters, lighting, help points, Public Address, security, ticketing and tag on/off machines.
- Newmarket Station building (a historic Vogel station, opened in 1908) is in place and the exterior is being refurbished by KiwiRail.
- Main station pedestrian entry and exit via Cheshire Street. Entry to the platform is via temporary stairs.
- An underpass connecting the platforms.
- Vehicle access to the station is not available. Further development will continue during 2017.
- To improve pedestrian access, a new pathway entrance way is being constructed linking the Parnell station platform and the Carlaw Park which is due for completion later in 2018.
- Passengers will be able to continue down Nicholls Lane allowing easier connections to the National Library, ASB Tennis Centre, local offices as well as connection to Auckland University.
- The new pathway is step free with a 10% steep gradient due to the vegetation and topography constraints in the Auckland Domain. Handrails have been installed to assist customers.
- The pathway are New Zealand Standards compliant and the Blind Foundation and various accessibility groups were made aware of the proposed changes at Parnell station.
New Train Timetable and Running Times from 26 August 2018
Extra Parnell services
- From 26 August 2018, more trains will stop at Parnell following the removal of the nearby Sarawia Road level crossing
- Western line trains will stop at Parnell at all times, in addition to all Southern line trains.
- Further station developments are underway with a new Carlaw Park pathway from Nicholls Lane to the station, new access ramp and permanent stairs to platform 1. Once these are complete, ticket gates will be installed.
- Onehunga line services do not stop at Parnell.
Stage 1 when complete
When complete, Stage 1 will include:
- Improved platform access.
- Electronic ticket gates.
- Formal pathway/road to Cheshire Street
- Mobility parking and a drop-off/pick-up area.
- Footpath link to Nicholls Lane and the University.
- Fully refurbished station building (exterior) with shelter under the verandas.
Construction update November 2018
Access to Parnell Station has recently been improved with the creation of a new ramp. The ramp connects Nicholls Lane/Carlaw Park and runs through the Domain to the Rail platform that serves trains running to Britomart.
The ramp was partially funded by Waitemata Local Board.
The new access will reduce journey times for people arriving at the station and wishing to walk towards the University and Carlaw Park Business centre.
Due to environmental constraints the route is steeper than building code. Handrails have been installed for the full length to assist users.
The new walkway benefits from improved lighting and CCTV.
Electronic Ticketing Gates coming soon
The electronic ticketing gates will be implemented once the current work onsite is completed. The expected commissioning date for the new ticketing gates is late 2018. These improvements are an effort to improve the overall rail experience and also improve safety.
The electronic gates are already in use at Britomart, Newmarket, New Lynn, Manukau, Henderson, Ōtāhuhu, Manurewa and Papatoetoe stations
Stage 2 enhancements are not yet planned or scheduled, but can be expected to bring the basic station to the same level of amenity as other similar stations in the network.