Changes we are making
Mission Bay town centre safety improvements
We are proposing town centre safety improvements in Mission Bay. Feedback closed 30 April 2019.
St Heliers village safety improvements
We are proposing safety improvements in St Heliers village. Feedback closed 30 April 2019.
Mairangi Bay Town Centre safety improvements
We are proposing town centre safety improvements in Mairangi Bay. Feedback closed 14 December 2018.
Torbay Town Centre safety improvements
We are proposing town centre safety improvements in Torbay. Feedback closed 14 December 2018.
Otahuhu Town Centre safety improvements
Auckland Transport (AT) has changed the speed limits in Ōtāhuhu town centre.
- Reduce speed limits to survivable levels recognising that many road users share the same space.
- Provide a more people focused street where families feel safer.
- Residential roads are becoming increasingly busy as traffic levels increase, and more people choose to walk and cycle.
- Research has shown that reducing speed in residential areas has many health and well-being benefits.
- Area-wide changes rather than individual streets as they are part of a larger road network.
Town Centres (including City Centre)
- High volumes of vulnerable road users.
- Reduce speed limits to survivable levels recognising that many users share the same space.
- Existing operating (actual) speeds are normally lower than posted speeds during peak periods due to the high volume of foot traffic.
- Creating public spaces that promote people’s health, happiness and well-being.
- Focus on high crash risk routes.
- Need to introduce safe and appropriate speeds across areas rather than individual roads.
- Making our key routes safer (no speed limits greater than 80km/h without a centre median separation).
Proposed 30km/h location 2018 - 2021
|2018/19 Programme||Project location||Length of road (km)|
|Town Centres||Mission Bay||0.8|
|City Centre||Auckland City Centre||46.4|
|Residential Zones||Te Atatu South||9.5|