Auckland Transport has been reviewing the parking situation around Waitakere Hospital due to an increase in all-day parking, which makes it difficult for visitors and residents to find parking space.
AT proposal is to introduce new parking time restrictions to improve availability for residents and visitors and to discourage long-stay commuter parking in and around Lincoln Road, near Waitakere Hospital.
A residential parking scheme, that provides exemption for residents who display a permit, was also considered. However, as there is not yet an approved residential parking scheme for the Auckland region, we did not think this was appropriate.
Public consultation was undertaken in 2012 to obtain feedback on proposed parking time restrictions. The proposed restrictions were:
- P120 parking time restrictions in various streets, applicable from Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm;
- Extension of the existing P5 pick up and drop off area on Norval Road;
- P10 during pick up and drop off times and P120 other times along 1-7 Pinedale Place;
- Clearway from 8am to 3.30pm Monday to Friday along 2-6 Pinedale Place;
- P60 outside Henderson intermediate school, Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm (school days);
- "No stopping at all times" restriction in some locations to address localised safety issues on certain bends, at intersections and at cul-de-sac heads.
The consultation feedback indicated a general support for the parking restrictions to the west of Lincoln Road (76% were in support). However, we had a mixed response regarding the parking restrictions to the east of Lincoln Road: 33% were in support, while 67% did not support the proposed restrictions.
West of Lincoln Road
Taking on board your feedback we have decided to proceed with the proposals to the west of Lincoln Road, including Norval Road, Pinedale Place, Te Kanawa Crescent, Fairdene Avenue and Edwards Avenue.
East of Lincoln Road
At this time, we will not be proceeding with the parking restrictions that we put forward for the east of Lincoln Road on Woodford Ave, Waipareira Avenue, Pender’s Place, Epping Road, Buscomb Ave, Millstream Drive and Abel Tasman Ave. Given the feedback to these restrictions, we have put these proposals on hold and will review the situation once the proposals west of Lincoln Road are in place and people have had a chance to adjust to the changes.
AT will now take the time to obtain legal approval for the proposed parking restrictions and a further month to install the associated road markings and signage on the roads. We expect to complete this work in February 2013.
Need more information?