The western collector is a new two-lane road to improve connections through the western part of Warkworth.
Project status: Completed.
The Warkworth Western Collector project is a three-stage plan to improve road connections to the west of the state highway developed to support the future urbanisation of the Warkworth area.
Stage One of the Western Collector route, connecting Mansel Drive to Falls Road, is the first of many transport infrastructure improvements planned for Warkworth over the next 30 years.
The new road will help alleviate pressure within the township by providing a strong north-south alternative route to the existing SH1 between the northern end of Warkworth. It will also improve access to nearby employment areas and the new residential growth areas in the west and south.
The timing and exact route of the remaining two stages have yet to be determined but will connect to the State Highway in the vicinity of McKinney Road in the south and the new Matakana Link Road intersection which will be built in the north.
A collector road collects and distributes traffic to and from local streets to busier arterial routes.
Auckland Transport has awarded the construction contract for the Mansel Road extension, a two-lane road which links Woodcocks Road to Falls Road.
The new collector road crosses the Mahurangi River and a new intersection will be constructed where Mansel Drive and Falls Road meet. Falls Road will also be realigned with the existing culvert which will be extended.
The project will also involve the provision of stormwater treatment, off-road shared cycleway and pedestrian facilities.
The Western Collector is one on several projects to support growth in Warkworth. Find out what else is being planned for Warkworth.
- Improve the accessibility of future development sites to the west of Warkworth.
- Improve facilities for cyclists and pedestrians resulting in increased travel choices.
- Improved efficiency of the transport network for road users, which has economic benefits for businesses in the way of reduced travel time and improved journey reliability.
- Proves an alternative connection for heavy vehicles between the industrial/commercial area around Woodcocks Road and the industrial/commercial area at Hudson Road via State Highway 1 and the associated intersections
- Provides an alternative route during storm events when the Falls Road ford overtops and for vehicles too large for the single lane Falls Road bridge.
- April/May 2016 - Construction begins.
- March 2017 - Expected completion of stage 1.
Satellite view of the western collector
Time-lapse video of the construction
For more information