Auckland Transport (AT) is proposing to upgrade a footpath in Western Springs to a shared path.
- Get details of the Western Springs shared path upgrade.
- Public engagement for the proposed Western Springs shared path upgrade.
Project status: Consultation - closed 7 May 2018
Project zone: Central
Auckland Transport is proposing an upgrade to the footpath in Western Springs. The proposed 3-plus metre wide shared path converts the existing footpath in front of the Caltex on Great North Road, improves the connection from Ivanhoe Road, and includes dual cyclist/pedestrian crossings across the motorway on and off ramps and across Western Springs Road.
- Safer and more direct for people on foot and on bikes travelling along the Great North Road shared path to and from St Lukes Road.
- Improved access from Ivanhoe Road for cyclists travelling from Grey Lynn, Kingsland and the northwest cycleway. As a result there will be minimal parking removal.
- Connects the shared path between the State Highway 16/Great North Road intersection and Western Springs Road, as well as providing high quality crossing facilities.
- Completes a vital shared path link to allow better walking and cycling access to key attractions including the Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT), the Auckland Zoo and Western Springs park.
- April 2018 – consultation on shared path upgrade.
- April-May 2018 – feedback from consultation.
- Third quarter 2018 – construction starts on upgrade.
Auckland Transport is responding to local feedback around these improved connections between two existing shared paths on the southern side of Great North Road.
Currently there is a shared path along Great North Road from Western Springs Rd to Saint Lukes Road, and a shared path from Bullock Track to the SH16/Great North Road intersection, but only a footpath in between.
Great North Road from Western Springs Road to the SH16 intersection
The improvements include crossing facilities with three dual cyclist/pedestrian crossings at the motorway slip lanes and Western Springs Road where unmarked pram crossings currently exist. There will also be a raised table across the eastern Caltex driveway and a new shared path to connect all of these crossings.
Ivanhoe Road cul-de-sac improvements
The current footpath on the Ivanhoe Rd cul-de-sac will be upgraded to a 3-metre wide shared path that will provide better connection for cyclists and pedestrians coming from Ivanhoe Road, Grey Lynn. Kingsland and the northwest cycleway.. As part of the upgrade minimal parking restrictions will be in place with extended broken lines to improve visibility on the cul-de-sac.
Details of work
We asked for feedback from the general public between 23 April to 7 May 2018.
We wanted to find out if there were any concerns with the proposed Western Springs shared path upgrade works on Ivanhoe Road and Great North Road, and the proposed design.
We received a total of 68 submissions to the proposed Western Springs shared path upgrade, thank you to everyone who provided feedback.
In summary, 76% of the submissions liked the Western Springs shared path upgrade, 7% disliked the upgrade and 17% submitted other suggestions. Your feedback will now help us improve and finalised the design of the proposed improvements.