The Westhaven to City cycle route is an important connection in Auckland’s cycle network, running between the Westhaven Promenade and Quay Street.
Project status: Design
Project zone: Central
The Westhaven to City cycle route will link to existing or proposed cycleways across Victoria Park to Victoria Street and Franklin Road, Nelson St, and Quay Street. It also connects into the popular Wynyard Quarter area providing safe access for people on bikes to playgrounds, restaurants, cafés, markets and events around North Wharf and the Viaduct Basin.
This work supports Auckland Transport's vision to a deliver well-connected and integrated cycle path network across Auckland and forms part of the road and public space improvements we are carrying out within Wynyard Quarter.
We are creating the route in 2 sections:
- Section 1 - Westhaven Drive to Custom Street West/Market Place.
- Section 2 - Market Place to Lower Hobson Street.
- Provides a safe, direct link from Westhaven to the CBD for people on bikes.
- Improves safety by alerting drivers to the presence of cyclists.
- Provides more crossing opportunities for pedestrians.
- Reduces vehicle speeds, especially at intersections where most conflict with cyclists happens.
- Is an important cycling connection in Auckland’s cycling network, connecting to existing and planned cycling facilities: Nelson Street Cycleway, Westhaven Promenade and the proposed Skypath link to Northcote, Quay street cycleway, and Wynyard Quarter shared paths.
- November-December 2016 - feedback on design options.
- Early 2017 - construction.
- Early 2017 - feedback on design options.
- Mid 2017 - construction.
The cycle route
The route selected is a safe and direct route in to the city and is currently used by existing commuter and recreational cyclists, comfortable with riding on the road. Fanshawe Street was also considered as a direct route, however, it was discounted due to the significant bus and traffic volumes.
The proposed route supplements the existing and proposed shared paths through Wynyard Quarter which provide safe access for people on bikes to playgrounds, restaurants, cafés, markets and events around North Wharf and the Viaduct Basin.
Section 1 of the proposed route runs along Westhaven Drive, turning on to Beaumont St connecting with existing cycle facilities at the northern end of Beaumont Street and proposed facilities at the southern end of Beaumont Street. It then turns on to Gaunt Street and continues on to Viaduct Harbour Ave, and then turns on to Customs Street West where it meets up with the proposed route for section 2.
Section 2 of the proposed route runs from the northern end of the proposed Nelson Street cycle facilities at Market Place, turns on to Customs Street West (where it connects with section 1) before turning on to the northern end of Lower Hobson Street.
Design - section 1
The purpose of the design is to:
- Mark the route for cyclists.
- Communicate to all road users that people on bikes are welcome here and improve safety by alerting drivers to the presence of cyclists.
- Reduce vehicle speeds, especially at intersections where most conflict with cyclists occurs.
- Make tram tracks on the route safer for cyclists by using an infill product.
- Provide more crossing opportunities for pedestrians.
The design incorporates a mix of coloured markings and surfacing, raised tables and humps, signage, and zebra crossings.
- Download the section 1 overview plan (PDF 2.3MB).
- Download the detailed designs for section 1 (PDF 2.8MB).
On-street parking will be retained where safety of cyclists and pedestrians is not adversely affected and at this stage we do not anticipate the loss of any parking.
Feedback on the design for section 1 of the cycle route was open from 28 November to 18 December 2016. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.
A report on the feedback and the selected design will be available here in early 2017.