The Westhaven to City cycle route is an important connection in Auckland’s cycle network, running between the Westhaven Promenade and Quay Street.
Project status: Design
Project zone: Central
The Westhaven to City cycle route will link to existing or proposed cycleways across Victoria Park to Victoria Street and Franklin Road, Nelson St, and Quay Street. It also connects
This work supports Auckland Transport's vision to a deliver well-connected and integrated cycle path network across Auckland and forms part of the road and public space improvements we are carrying out within Wynyard Quarter.
We are creating the route in 2 sections:
- Section 1: Westhaven Drive to
CustomStreet West/Market Place.
- Section 2: Market Place to Lower Hobson Street.
- Provides a safe, direct link from Westhaven to the CBD for people on bikes.
- Improves safety by alerting drivers to the presence of cyclists.
- Provides more crossing opportunities for pedestrians.
- Reduces vehicle speeds, especially at intersections where most conflict with cyclists happens.
- Is an important cycling connection in Auckland’s cycling network, connecting to existing and planned cycling facilities: Nelson Street Cycleway, Westhaven Promenade and the proposed Skypath link to Northcote, Quay street cycleway, and Wynyard Quarter shared paths.
- November-December 2016 - feedback on design options.
- May 2017 - Design finalised.
- June 2017 - Construction.
- Mid 2017 - Consultation begins on design options.
- Late 2017 - Construction.
The route selected is a safe and direct route
The proposed route supplements the existing and proposed shared paths through Wynyard Quarter which provide safe access for people on bikes to playgrounds, restaurants, cafés, markets and events around North Wharf and the Viaduct Basin.
Section 1 of the proposed route runs along Westhaven Drive, turning
Section 2 of the proposed route runs from the northern end of the proposed Nelson Street cycle facilities at Market Place, turns on to Customs Street West (where it connects with section 1) before turning
Design - section 1
Section 1 is for commuter cyclists who want to take a more direct route into the city, and are comfortable sharing the road with cars. The purpose of the design is to:
- Mark the route for cyclists.
- Communicate to all road users that people on bikes are welcome here and improve safety by alerting drivers to the presence of cyclists.
- Reduce vehicle speeds, especially at intersections where most conflict with cyclists occurs.
- Make tram tracks on the route safer for cyclists by using an infill product.
- Provide more crossing opportunities for pedestrians.
The design incorporates a mix of sharrows, road markings, raised tables and humps, signage, and zebra crossings.
On-street parking will be retained where
We invited feedback on the proposed design for section 1 of the cycle route between 28 November and 18 December 2016.
We received 126 feedback responses and used these to produce the final design. Some changes from the original proposal include:
- Removing blue skid-resistant bands.
- Increasing the number of sharrows (shared-lane marking) and removing the painted door zones.
- Adding more treatments on Beaumont Street at the Gaunt Street and Westhaven Drive intersections.
- Filling the gaps in the tram tracks on Gaunt Street with asphalt until tram services resume.
- Installing a roundabout at the Custom Street West and Pakenham Street intersection.
Proposed design plans
- Download the proposed section 1 overview plan (PDF 2.3MB).
- Download the proposed detailed designs for section 1 (PDF 2.8MB).