AT plans to extend the popular NX2 Northern Express rapid bus service along O Mahurangi-Penlink to Whangaparāoa when it opens in 2026.
Project status: Investigation
Project zone: North
To support the growth on the Whangaparāoa Peninsula, we plan to extend the successful rapid NX2 bus service to Whangaparāoa along O Mahurangi-Penlink when it opens in 2026.
To support the route extension, we plan to apply for Auckland Council and Waka Kotahi for funding to build an interchange located on the Whangaparāoa Road/O Mahurangi Penlink/Beverley Road intersection. The interchange will mean people can quickly and easily transfer between the NX2 and local buses or the Whangaparaoa town centre.
We expect the extended NX2 and bus interchange to deliver more reliable and accessible rapid public transport services for nearly 5000 people, saving up to 20 minutes per trip compared with current bus routes and providing a safe and reliable alternative to travelling between Whangaparāoa and areas such as the city centre, Takapuna, or Albany by car.
Providing cost-effective and reliable rapid public transport between the Whangaparaoa Peninsula and areas such as the city centre, Takapuna, Rosedale and Albany will offer benefits to people and businesses by:
- delivering faster and more reliable rapid public transport services for nearly 5000 people, saving up to 20 minutes per trip compared with current bus route
- increasing access to work, education, and recreation opportunities
- reducing incidence of road deaths and serious injuries as bus is one of the safest ways to travel
- helping people contribute to New Zealand’s climate change reduction efforts by providing an effective and reliable alternative to travelling by car
- supporting local businesses by making it easy for people to visit and enjoy the Whangaparaoa Peninsula.
The population in Auckland’s north is expected to increase threefold from 55,000 to 150,000 over the next 30 years. The proposed NX2 extension and bus interchange will support that growth by providing a sustainable, safe, and reliable transport option to and from Whangaparāoa Peninsula.
The location selected for the proposed bus interchange is the end of O Mahurgangi-Penlink on the Whangaparāoa Road / Penlink / Beverley Road intersection. This location was chosen as it can support a bus interchange, provides fast access to O Mahurangi-Penlink and Whangaparaoa town centre and ensures people can easily transfer between the NX2 and local buses.
We are currently working on an initial concept design and early cost estimates so we can apply for funding from Auckland Council and Waka Kotahi to build the proposed Whangaparāoa interchange.
What happens next
When we have developed the initial designs, we will share them with you. We plan to do that in the first half of 2023.