Whangaparaoa Road upgrade Whangaparaoa Road upgrade
The proposed upgrade to Whangaparaoa Road (between Hibiscus Coast Highway to Red Beach Road) comprises the addition of 2 lanes on the south side of the existing road, improvements to underground services such as stormwater and wastewater networks, and the undergrounding of the existing overhead power lines.
Project status: On hold
Project zone: North
This 1.6km section of the road is the sole access to the peninsula and reached its capacity of 25,000 vehicle movements a day in 2009.
A project to create a second access route between Stanmore Bay and the Northern Motorway, Penlink, has been granted resource consents and the designation is confirmed, pending 2 appeals.
Features and benefits
- Provide improved traffic access to the peninsula;
- Reduce congestion;
- Future-proofing for public transport improvements (bus lanes);
- Improved cycling and walking facilities;
- Improved utility services by under-grounding power and providing new water and telephone services.
Preferred design option
- 2011 - Scheme assessment.
- 2012 - Detailed design and consultation.
- 2016 - Project placed on hold pending budget allocation.