Auckland Transport (AT) is building new bus stops and upgrading existing ones in Wynyard Quarter. The improved stops will support the more frequent and reliable bus network for central Auckland.
Project status: Construction.
Project zone: Central.
When Wynyard Quarter is fully developed by 2030, 3000 residents will call it home and 25,000 people will work in the area.
To support this growth, AT is improving public transport services to and from the quarter. This will also support the implementation of our simpler, more integrated new network for the central Auckland suburbs (planned to be introduced mid 2018) and form part of our strategy to improve city-wide public transport services.
Image: Artist's impression of the new bus stop on Halsey Street.
Bus stop locations
To support this new network of buses and improve customer experience we will upgrade existing and construct new bus stops in Wynyard Quarter. These are:
- Construct new double bus stop on the west side of Halsey Street, outside the Bayleys building for passengers getting off buses.
- Construct new double bus stop and shelter on the east side of Halsey Street, outside Microsoft for passengers waiting to get on buses.
- Additional bus parking will be installed on the west side of Beaumont Street, opposite the car park to supplement the new network.
- The waiting area at the Jellicoe Street bus stop will be modified to create additional waiting area for our customers.
- A new temporary bus stop will be installed on the east side of Halsey Street, adjacent to Pakenham Street while the Park Hyatt Hotel is under construction.
Features and benefits
- High quality bus stops and street furniture.
- Improved customer experience.
- Greater public transport choice.
- Better integration of roads, footpaths, and cycleways.
- Reduced car dependency.
Construction is due to start mid-2018 to support the new public transport network for Wynyard Quarter and Auckland Central.
Traffic management will be in place during construction and will include footpath and lane closures.
The hours of work will usually be Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm. Some weekend work may be required from 7am to 7pm in order to minimise disruption on the bus network.
New bus routes
When the new bus network is implemented in the middle of 2018, 2 new services will travel to/through Wynyard Quarter:
- The new 75 service will run every 15 minutes all day, every day (and more buses at peak times) connecting Remuera Road with Auckland City Hospital, and Midtown to Wynyard Quarter.
- The 20 service that travels through Ponsonby and Kingsland to St Lukes every 20 minutes, all day, every day.
These services augment the existing frequent (every 7 to 8 minutes) City Link service.
If you are travelling from other parts of Auckland, you can connect to the 75 bus service at Symonds Street and Midtown. Under the zonal fare structure, there is no additional cost if you use your AT HOP card.
Walking and cycling
AT and Panuku Development Auckland are partnering together to make Wynyard Quarter an even more pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly place, and to provide a world-class waterfront for Aucklanders.
- See a map of walking and cycling routes through Wynyard Quarter (PDF 456KB).
- Learn more about the work to revitalise the southern section of Wynyard Quarter.