Find out what you need to know about starting a Walking School Bus.
Starting a Walking School Bus
Setting up and coordinating a Walking School Bus route requires enthusiastic parents or adults from your school.
If you think you are that person contact your school principal and the local AT Community Transport Coordinator.
For more details about setting up or volunteering on a Walking School Bus, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Support for a Walking School Bus
From Auckland Transport
Auckland Transport can give you all the help you need in getting the Walking School Bus going, including:
- Parent/volunteer training and ongoing support.
- Networking and training opportunities, eg child first aid course and regular chances to meet others in the Walking School Bus network.
- Discretionary funding for a route.
- Useful resources.
- Checking the proposed route for safety.
From your AT Community Transport Coordinator
Your local AT Community Transport Coordinator will:
- assist and support you to set up a Walking School Bus,
- undertake a safety audit of the route,
- help you apply for funding,
- hold regular network meetings and training workshops for volunteers,
- continue to be a support person.
List of schools with Walking School Buses
You may also be interested in:
- Walking School Bus safety.
- Schools with Walking School Buses.
- Walking School Bus homepage.
- Volunteer information and resources.