Skip to main content

Your HOP card is lost, stolen or damaged 

If your registered AT HOP card is lost or stolen, cancel it online or call the AT HOP centre on 09 366 4467 as soon as you can.

We’ll cancel your card so that it can no longer be used. Your account balance will be protected within 24 hours of your phone call, but you will need to buy a replacement card.

if you find a lost HOP card, please hand it in at the nearest AT customer service centre.  

You have a faulty HOP card

If your registered HOP card isn’t working, please contact us and we’ll replace it for free. To transfer your balance and any HOP products (such as monthly passes, concessions or auto top-ups), register your new card to your account. 

If your unregistered card isn’t working, please contact us, as your card must be replaced in person.

How to cancel your HOP card online 

  1. Log in to your MyAT account
  2. Select the card you want to cancel
  3. Scroll to the bottom of your card details and select ‘Cancel card’
  4. Check the box to confirm
  5. Select ‘Yes, cancel’.

From here, you can transfer any remaining balance to a new card or another card registered to your account.

Note: Once a card is cancelled, you won’t be able to use it again.

How to transfer your HOP card balance online

By following these steps, you can transfer your balance to a new card or any card registered to your account.

  1. Log in to your MyAT account
  2. Select the card you wish to transfer funds from. If the card is still active, cancel the card first.
  3. Select ‘Transfer balance’
  4. Select the receiving card or register a new card
  5. Select ‘Request transfer’ then review your details
  6. Select ‘Confirm’.

What HOP card transfers include

Once the transfer is complete, your card balance will be updated when you next tag on. Any concessions, auto top-ups, monthly passes (activated or not) and day passes will be transferred to your new card.

Please do not to load a monthly pass on your new card until your balance has been updated. This will cause the balance transfer to fail, and the balance of your previous monthly pass will be lost.


  • You cannot complete a balance transfer between primary and linked accounts or between active cards.
  • Balance transfer requests are processed manually so may take a few working days to complete.
  • If you don’t tag on within 60 days, please contact us. We’ll reactivate the balance transfer, giving you another 60 days to tag on.

How to view your balance and transaction history

To view a card’s balance and transaction history, it must be registered to your MyAT HOP account.

  1. Log in to your MyAT account
  2. Select ‘View all cards’ to view card balances 
  3. To view your transaction history, select a card and go to the ‘Transactions’ tab
  4. To view more information about the transaction, select ‘View details’.

GST receipt for AT HOP card travel 

The IRD has granted Auckland Transport a special product ruling in relation to AT HOP cards. Under section 24(6)(b) of the GST Act, the Commissioner has determined that a tax invoice is not required. Under the ruling, if a GST expense claim is required by a public transport user, a printout of the account is sufficient for the GST to be recovered on actual trips completed.

If you no longer need your registered AT HOP card, you can surrender it and apply for a refund of any remaining balance or products on your card.

  1. Download and complete the Card surrender form (PDF 317KB).
  2. Send a copy to This can be a scanned copy, a PDF or a good-quality photo of your completed form.
  3. Remember to sign below under ‘Primary account holder’.

If your application is approved, you will receive a refund within 14 days.

Please note that you cannot receive a refund for a daily or monthly pass that has already been activated.

How to request a refund

If you do not agree with a fare charged to your AT HOP card and want to apply for a refund, you can query the transaction online.

How to query your transaction online

  1. Log in to your MyAT account
  2. Select the card you used for travel 
  3. Go to the ‘Transactions’ tab
  4. Select ‘View details’ next to the transaction in question. 

If you disagree with more than one transaction, choose just one, and then tell us about the other transactions in the query form.

  1. Select ‘Query this transaction’
  2. Choose whether you’d like to receive an email confirmation
  3. Enter your trip details
  4. Select the reason for your query
  5. Add any additional information, including the dates and times of any other transactions you’d like to query 
  6. Select the ‘Next’ button
  7. Review the information you’ve provided
  8. Select ‘Submit’.

Once you’ve submitted your request, we’ll respond within 10 working days. 

Note: If you forget to tag on or off and are charged a default fare as a result, we will only refund you the first time you forget.

What to do if your HOP card expires

If your registered HOP card is about to expire, we will notify you by email and mail you a new card for free. 

Note: There is no visible expiry date printed on your HOP card or mentioned in your MyAT account. AT HOP cards usually expire after a period of 10 years. 

Last updated Back to top

Related Content