Auckland Transport (AT) is responsible for the planning, design, delivery and operations of Auckland’s multi-modal transport system. We have a range of plans and strategies which guide the way the transport system is developed.
How our plans and strategies fit together
AT’s plans and strategies interface with those created by Auckland Council, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency and the Ministry of Transport.
The relationships between the plans and strategies
There is a network planning stream and an investment planning stream. Both are fed from the Auckland Plan.
- Future Connect identifies the future network.
- ATAP brings all agencies together to determine funding priorities.
- The RLTP is the investment plan which articulates the resulting preferred future scenario
- The RLTP interfaces with Auckland Council’s Long Term Plan (their investment plan) and the Government’s National Land Transport Programme (their investment plan).
- The Government Policy Statement on Land Transport outlines the Government’s priorities for transport investment. This guides their input into the National Land Transport programme and the ATAP process.
- The RLTP is also fed specifically by the Asset Management Plan, articulating the needs for renewal and maintenance of AT’s many assets.
- Future Connect is fed by a range of locational, modal and topic-specific plans and strategies. Future Connect feeds the Roads and Streets Framework, and both feed the Network Operating Plan.
- Projects funded through the RLTP are then guided by the NOP and earlier plans and strategies as they go through the business case, design and delivery process.
The time, mode and locational scope of AT’s plans and strategies
Regional Land Transport Plan
The RLTP is a plan of how transport delivery agencies intend to respond to growth and other challenges facing Auckland over the next 10 years.
Future Connect - Auckland Transport's Network Plan
Future Connect is Auckland Transport's 10-year network plan for Auckland’s integrated transport system.
Roads and Streets Framework
Auckland Transport's assessment tool to determine the movement, place and modal priorities of each road in Auckland.
Regional Public Transport Plan 2023-2031 (RPTP)
The draft Regional Public Transport Plan 2023-2031 (RPTP) outlines AT’s proposals for Auckland’s public transport system over the next 8-years. We want to hear your thoughts on the plan by 17 August 2023.
Auckland Parking Strategy
The AT parking strategy sets out our approach to managing parking in Auckland.
Auckland Freight Plan
The Auckland freight plan identifies the critical challenges for freight movement, desired outcomes, and an action plan to achieve those outcomes.
Asset Management Plan
The Asset Management Plan sets out how AT manages and maintains transport assets that are essential to connect people and move goods across Auckland.
Auckland Network Operating Plan
The Auckland Network Operating Plan informs how we manage the transport system on a day-to-day basis.
Auckland Transport's safety strategy to eliminate deaths and serious injuries from the transport system.
On-demand and Shared Mobility Roadmap
AT plans to shape Auckland’s future transport network by expanding access to on-demand and shared travel options.
Waiheke 10 Year Transport Plan
The Waiheke 10 Year Transport Plan is a collaborative multi-modal plan developed by AT and the Waiheke Local Board.
City Centre Bus Plan
The Bus Reference Case (BRC) provides a "single point of reference" on the future of the bus network in the Auckland.
Accessibility Action Plan
The accessibility action plan provides details on what actions Auckland Transport will undertake over the next 3 years to improve accessibility.
|Plan or strategy||Description||Developed by|
|Auckland Plan - available on the Auckland Council website.||The central guiding vision and objectives for the future form and shape of Auckland||Auckland Council|
|Auckland Transport Alignment Project - available on the Ministry of Transport website.||Agreement on core challenges and responses to transport needs in Auckland||Auckland Council, Auckland Transport, Waka Kotahi and MoT|
|Government Policy Statement on Land Transport (GPS) - available on the Ministry of Transport website.||The government's core objectives for transport across New Zealand, which shape investment decisions||MoT|
|Auckland Long Term Plan - available on the Auckland Council website.||The combined council 10 year investment plan||Auckland Council|
|National Land Transport Programme - available on the Waka Kotahi website.||The combined 10 year national transport investment plan||Waka Kotahi|