How to start recuiting 'student leaders' for your Walking School Bus.
Starting the student leadership programme
All Year 5 to 8 students are asked to express interest in the Student leadership programme. Depending on the school, there may be criteria around this, eg the student will have to complete 2 Walking School Bus tickets.
We will set up a lunch time workshop (approximately 20 minutes), where we cover:
- The student leader licence process.
- The role and responsibilities of the students, parents and Auckland Transport.
- The Learners licence – students discuss what each skill involves.
- Road safety discussion eg what the road safety issues are in your area.
- Leadership – what is expected of them as role models.
- Activity ideas – students are encouraged to come up with some ideas to keep others entertained on the Walking School Bus. However, these cannot take away from road safety while walking.
- Resources students receive:
- Learner licence in a clear pocket with a lanyard,
- a fluoro vest (that they must wear)
- and a mini first aid kit.
- The school community officer may also attend.
For the student leader license process, students graduate to each different level depending on their ability to demonstrate the skills needed.
- Students start with their Learner licence.
- The parents/grandparents/caregivers that are in charge of the Walking School Bus sign each of these off when they are confident the student is reliably demonstrating each skill.
- Students could be working on the Learner licence for approximately 10 weeks depending on how long they have been walking on a Walking School Bus and how often they walk.
- They are to be achieved one at a time.
- Once all Learner licence skills are complete the student gets their Restricted licence.
- Students could be working on their Restricted licence for approximately 6 to 10 weeks depending on how often they walk on the Walking School Bus.
- If they continue to show excellent skills they get that signed off by the adult in charge.
- If students successfully pass their Restricted licence they receive their Full licence.
- They are issued with a student leader badge.
- We recommend these students are recognised at assembly for their achievement and invite the local police constable or school community officer.
You may also be interested in:
- Register and manage your Walking School Bus merit scheme.
- Walking School Bus safety.
- Walking School Bus homepage.
- Volunteer information and resources.