In the past couple of weeks we have become aware of isolated issues where some customer’s online card top-ups have not worked.

Some customers have received an error message when trying to top-up but then the transaction appears to have gone through.  Please note that the money from these transactions has not been received by Auckland Transport and will not be charged to your credit card.  It may be that the amount is “on hold” with your bank which the bank will then release back to you.  This can take between 7 – 10 days depending on who you bank with.

If you have an issue or a query you can contact us, on ph 09 366 4467, Mon-Fri 6am - 9pm, Sat 7am - 8pm, Sun and public holidays 8am - 6.30pm and we will assist in resolving this. Please be aware our call waiting times might be a bit longer than usual.

We are working hard with our technology suppliers to fix the problem and are aiming to have it rectified as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Auckland Transport

Vehicle crossing application

A vehicle crossing is the area of driveway between a public road and the private property boundary, usually replacing a portion of the public footpath. If you want to build, modify or repair a vehicle crossing, you must get written approval from Auckland Transport (AT) before you start work.

All vehicle crossings must be built in compliance with AT and Auckland Council construction standards.

When you need to apply

You must apply and get written approval from AT before you begin:

  • Building a new vehicle crossing.
  • Altering an existing one (for example, repairing, replacing, widening, or relocating it).

The application process is the same regardless of whether the driveway is shared or right-of-way, or an easement.

If you are building a new house, you'll be asked if there is a suitable existing vehicle crossing when you apply for building consent from Auckland Council. If not, you must apply for a vehicle crossing with your building consent.

Please note: Under Auckland Council’s operative-in-part Auckland Unitary Plan, vehicle crossings for a single dwelling can be no wider than 3 metres at the boundary between private property and the road reserve. For more information, see Chapter E27 of the Auckland Unitary Plan - table E27. Vehicle crossing and vehicle access widths (Auckland Council website).

If you plan to build a vehicle crossing that exceeds this maximum, you must apply for resource consent from Auckland Council.

New subdivisions

Vehicle crossings being built as part of a land subdivision are not covered by this application process. In these cases, the consultants or contractors building the subdivision should contact Auckland Council to get the work approved.

Application process

AT owns the vehicle crossing application process as we are responsible for ensuring work in the road corridor is carried out to the correct standard. The first part of the process (receiving the application and payment, and checking it for compliance with the Auckland Unitary Plan) is managed by Auckland Council.

Step 1. Complete the application form

Download the vehicle crossing application form (PDF 68KB)

Step 2. Lodge and pay for your application

  • Visit your nearest Auckland Council Customer Service Centre to lodge your completed application form and pay the application fee (Auckland Council is the receiving agent for AT).
  • The application fee is $328.00 (including GST). Payment methods include cash, EFTPOS, credit card and cheque (internet banking payments are not accepted).
  • The fee covers office processing charges and 3 field inspections (a pre-approval, pre-pour and final reinstatement inspection). If additional field inspections are needed because of any non-compliance problems, the applicant may be charged extra fees to cover any additional work.

Step 3. Processing and checking

  • The application will be checked to make sure all the required information has been supplied, including a site plan showing the complete property and the location of the proposed vehicle crossing relative to the side boundaries with dimensions. Note: the area of driveway on private property is not part of the vehicle crossing.
  • If the application is incomplete, it will be returned to you to be completed and re-submitted, before any payment is accepted.
  • The application will then be checked by Auckland Council planners to ensure it complies with Chapter E27 of the Auckland Unitary Plan.

Step 4. Inspections

Pre-approval inspection

  • Auckland Council will transfer your application to AT for a field inspection to check it complies with all the technical standards and requirements, including traffic safety site distances, road storm water control, maximum gradients, prevention of scraping, location of power poles, trees and street lights etc.
  • If your application passes this inspection, AT will send you an approval letter giving you permission to begin construction, in accordance with detailed specifications that will be included with the letter. We may also request that you submit a traffic management plan before any works can take place. Details of how to submit a traffic management plan will be provided in the approval letter.

Pre-pour inspection

  • When the excavation has been prepared and ready for concrete to be poured, you must contact us to arrange an inspection of the boxing before the concrete is poured. We require 2 working days' notice to arrange this inspection.
  • Once the pre-pour inspection has been passed, you can pour the concrete and reinstate the grass.

Final inspection

  • When the reinstatement is complete, a final inspection must be undertaken. We require 2 working days' notice to arrange this inspection.
  • If the vehicle crossing passes the final inspection, you will be sent a letter to advise you and a copy will go to Auckland Council.

To arrange an inspection, please contact us.

Processing time

We aim to process your vehicle crossing application and deliver a consent letter to you within 20 working days. This includes processing time with both Auckland Council and AT.

Our ability to meet this target relies on correct information being provided and our field inspection not identifying any problems.

Construction time limit

Construction of the vehicle crossing must be completed within 7 days (one week) from the date of starting the excavation to the date of completing the final reinstatement.

It is not acceptable for the footpath and grass berm area to be disrupted and left in a dangerous state for a prolonged period of time.

Construction and maintenance responsibility

  • The property owner is responsible for the cost of constructing and maintaining the vehicle crossing serving their property.
  • In the event that AT widens or realigns a road and these works require the vehicle crossing to be altered to meet the new road alignment, then AT will alter and reinstate the vehicle crossing access at our cost.
  • On-going maintenance and repairs to the vehicle crossing remains the responsibility of the property owner.
  • For rural properties with a culvert pipe under the vehicle crossing, the property owner is responsible for minor maintenance of the culvert to keep it free of debris that could block the culvert to cause it to overflow and cause flooding, or damage the road. The scope of this responsibility is limited to what could reasonably be achieved using normal gardening tools. Larger scale culvert and drainage channel maintenance using heavier maintenance equipment (trucks, diggers etc.) will remain AT's responsibility.
  • Property owners are expected to maintain the grassed area in front of their property to a reasonable standard, to ensure traffic visibility is not compromised, long grass does not become a fire hazard, and the area looks tidy.
  • For any concerns about the way a street front is being maintained please contact us. If the area is a hazard, AT will take action to minimise the risk to the community.

Find out more about the legal requirements surrounding constructing and maintaining vehicle crossings.

Traffic management plans

Construction of a vehicle crossing involves disruption to the road and footpath. There are often trucks, diggers, and worker’s vehicles at the worksite and they can partially block the road, causing a traffic hazard. Pedestrians also may be directed to walk on the road to get past the worksite.

To ensure pedestrians and motorists can safely get past the worksite, all applicants are required to submit a traffic management plan (TMP) with their application.

For arterial roads and high volume and high speed roads (Level 2), you will be required to get a site-specific TMP designed as part of the application.

You are required to implement the TMP by erecting signs and barriers before starting work and keep these controls in place to protect the public until the work is finished. You are required to meet the same safety standards that all the other road and utility service contractors work to.

Find out more about traffic management plans.


All vehicle access to a property must be by means of a properly constructed vehicle crossing that complies with AT and Auckland Council standards.

Chapter E section E27 of the Auckland Council Unitary Plan contains rules about transport infrastructure. In particular, Chapter E27.6.4: Access, contains rules about the location of vehicle crossings, the number allowed per property, minimum and maximum widths, maximum gradients, and the need for grade transitions etc.

Read Chapter E section E27 on the Auckland Council website.

New vehicle crossing standards

AT released a new set of vehicle crossing standards on 2 October 2017.

These standards apply to all areas in the Auckland Council/Auckland Transport area and supersede the old legacy council standards that have been in use up until then.

The engineering standards relate to the physical construction of vehicle crossings, including the thickness and strength of concrete required, integration of the footpath, maximum gradients, etc.

View the vehicle crossing standards.

Legal requirements

The legal requirements surrounding the need to construct and maintain a vehicle crossing can be found in:

More information or assistance

For further information about vehicle crossing fees, specifications, booking inspections, or any other queries, please contact us.