Britomart Transport Centre is Auckland's major transportation hub.
- Opening hours
- Britomart Station access and facilities
- Britomart Takutai Square (Eastern entrance) access and facilities
- Changes at Britomart Station for City Rail Link (CRL)
- Filming, photography, and commercial use of Britomart Station
- Britomart Precinct
The Britomart building is open to the public during the following hours:
- Monday to Thursday - 5am to 11pm.
- Friday - 5am to 1.15am.
- Saturday - 5.45am to 1.15am.
- Sunday - 5.45am to 11pm.
For our Britomart customer service centre opening hours see Customer service centres.
The entrance to Britomart Station is located on Commerce St with side entrances on Galway St and Tyler St.
Train platforms are located on B2 level. Ticket office, ticket machines and AT Customer Service Centre are located on the ground level in the Britomart Station.
Britomart Station - Ground level
- AT Customer Service Centre (for public transport information and advice)
- Ticket machines
- Ticket office
- Retailers (available soon)
- ATM (available soon)
- Toilets (includes accessible toilet)
Britomart Station - B1 level (mezzanine level)
- Two sets of stairs on both sides up to Ground level
Britomart Station - B2 level (platform level)
Another entrance to reach the Britomart train platforms (on B2 level) is located on the Eastern end of Britomart in the Atrium on Takutai (near Britomart Pl). Use this entrance/exit when travelling to or from Vector Arena.
Takutai Square - Ground level
- Atrium on Takutai
- One public toilet is located between the Adidas and Jo Malone stores (by the staircase down to B1 level)
- Lifts (will stop at B1 level for you to purchase tickets or tag on)
Takutai Square - B1 level (mezzanine level)
- Coin operated lockers, accessed only during building opening hours
- Ticket machines
- Electronic gates
- Manual gate for paper tickets
Takutai Square - B2 level (platform level)
Some changes are happening at Britomart Station as we prepare for the CRL. Be assured it is business as usual, with Britomart Train Station remaining operational throughout.
All building work will be staged to minimise impact to passengers and ensure continuous operations.
When CRL is complete it will reshape travel in Auckland by:
- allowing trains to operate both ways through Britomart (with double the number of trains),
- enabling shorter journey times,
- creating better connections with buses and ferries and
- introducing two new city train stations and a redeveloped station at Mt Eden on the rail network.
Stage 1: New station entrance
The first stage began in July 2016 with construction of a new station entrance at the back of Commerce St. This will take approximately 6 months to build.
The new entrance will enable the historic Chief Post Office (CPO) building (the current main entrance) to be closed for strengthening before construction of the tunnels underneath.
The work will involve:
- closing the drop off/pick up area in Commerce St
- access to the station will remain from both Lower Queen St, Galway St, Tyler St and Takutai Square
- three mobility parking spaces will be available along Galway St
- two delivery and service vehicle spaces will be available in Tyler St.
Note: Please be aware when walking to the station due to vehicles entering the construction site from Galway St and Tyler St. We recommend using the Lower Queen St or Takutai Square entrances.
Stage 2: Opening of new entrance
The new entrance opened January 2017. This new entrance will house customer facilities whilst the main entrance and CPO building are closed for three years.
|Changes to B1 level and CPO||New station entrance|
|Entrance to CPO building from Queen St, Galway St and Tyler St will be closed.||Access will be available from Tyler St, Galway St and the main entrance at Commerce St.|
|Public toilets on B1 level under the CPO will be closed.||New public toilets will be available in the new station entrance.|
|Ticketing facilities (ticket and top up machines, ticket office and customer service centre) relocated January 2017.||Ticketing facilities (ticket and top up machines, ticket office and customer service centre) situated in the new entrance.|
|Escalators between B1 level and ground level will be closed.||Two new sets of stairs will be available between B1 level and ground level.|
|Lift access will remain unchanged from ground level to B2 level.||Lift access will remain unchanged from ground level to B2 level.|
- From 29 March 2016: Underground concourse closes
- July 2016 to January 2017: Stage 1
- January 2017: Stage 2 starts
For train or bus timetables, you can view the full bus and train timetables in PDF format at Timetables or to search for a specific journey and the cost, you can use the Journey Planner and enter where you are leaving from, where you are travelling to and the time you would like to travel.
Britomart Station is available for some commercial use, including filming and photography. If you'd like to use Britomart as a location for your project, please send us the details of your event. We'll get in touch to discuss whether or not our location will be suitable for your needs. We're sorry, but the Station is not available for hire for private events, such as 21sts or birthday parties.
You can find a collection of restaurants, bars, fashion boutiques, art spaces, businesses and housing within the Britomart Precinct. Check out what's on offer at Britomart Precinct - a world-class destination in its own right.
You can also read more about the historic CPO building in the Britomart Precinct at britomart.org