If your vehicle was towed and how to recover it
- If your vehicle was towed and how to find out which tow yard it can be collected from, call us on (09) 355 3553.
- How to recover your towed vehicle.
If you want an illegally parked vehicle to be towed
- How you get a vehicle that is illegally parked to be towed.
- Find out the reasons why vehicles are towed.
Types of infringements and fines
If your vehicle was parked illegally on the street, it has most likely been ticketed by an Auckland Transport (AT) parking officer and towed by an authorised towing contractor.
Steps you can take to confirm whether your vehicle has been towed:
- To confirm if your vehicle has been towed by AT, it is best to contact our call centre as soon as possible on (09) 355 3553 as it is open 24 hours, 7 days a week or please check out our contact us page for more options.
- If your vehicle was parked in a private car park, phone the number provided on signs in the private car park.
- If you still can't confirm whether your vehicle has been towed after the above steps, contact the Police.
If your vehicle was parked illegally and is no longer there, it has most likely been ticketed by an AT parking officer and towed by an authorised towing contractor.
When you call us we will be able to advise you regarding which towing company has towed the car.
All vehicles that have been towed, either by AT contractors or by a private towing company, must be registered with the Police.
The information provided to the Police includes the licence plate number and location the vehicle has been moved to. There may be a delay between your vehicle being removed and the information being provided to the Police, but this should not be longer than about 20 minutes.
If your vehicle was not parked illegally (e.g. infringing a parking time-limit) it may have been moved for safety reasons. If your car has been towed for safety reasons, for
If you are unable to collect your vehicle straight away, please contact us before going to collect it, as it may have been moved to another storage facility overnight.
If your vehicle has been ticketed and towed by an AT authorised towing contractor, you will receive an infringement notice and may also need to pay a towing fee.
If your vehicle has been towed by a private towing company, you will need to pay the towing company upon collection.
If your vehicle has been towed, it will have been moved for one of 3 reasons:
- Road safety.
- Public interest.
If you believe a vehicle is illegally parked