Pay for travel on buses, trains and ferries using an AT HOP card. Cash can be used to purchase a paper ticket for train and ferry travel only.
Pay for travel with an AT HOP card
Pre-pay for travel on buses, trains and ferries with the AT HOP smart card.
- Find out where and how to buy an AT HOP card.
- Find out about topping up your AT HOP card.
- Find out how to use the AT HOP card.
Pay for the train with cash
Auckland trains operate on a pre-pay system, no tickets are sold onboard trains. To travel you must have a valid pre-purchased ticket before boarding the train.
Travelling using a single-trip paper ticket
- You can purchase single-trip paper tickets from the ticket and top-up machine or Customer service centre at all stations before you board the train.
- Single-trip paper tickets can only be used once and must be used within 2 hours of purchasing your ticket.
- The origin and destination on the ticket must match your physical trip. For a return journey to your original destination you will need to buy another paper ticket from the station you will be leaving from.
- If you do not have a a valid pre-purchased ticket before boarding the train you may be subject to an infringement.
- At electronic gates, scan the QR code on your paper ticket to access and exit the platform.
- Retain your ticket for the duration of your trip.
Pay for the ferry with cash
All ferries accept cash payment for fares. Eftpos and credit card facilities are also available. Tickets and passes can be purchased from ticket agents and in some cases on the ferry itself. Outside ticket office hours you will be able to buy most ticket types on board.
Find out where to purchase ferry tickets at Ferry services.
Group train travel
Group travel passes are available to schools, institutions and organisations wishing to travel by train. To purchase, email us at GroupTrainBooking@at.govt.nz two weeks prior with the following information:
- Name of the School, institution or organisation.
- Date of travel.
- Train line, time and departure station.
- Train line, time and return station.
- Number of adults.
- Number of children.
- Number of seniors.
- Accessible requirements.
- Address the Group Travel Pass is to be sent to.
Ticket conditions of carriage
You may also be interested in:
- Fare discounts and concessions
- How to use the ticket and top-up machines
- AT HOP and ticket retailers map locations
- Fare zones & calculating how much you pay