When Auckland Transport (AT) was established we inherited legacy council residential parking schemes. We continue to honour these schemes, and they will remain in existence until new residential parking zones are operating in these areas.
Residential parking scheme areas
Residential parking schemes operate in a limited number of streets in Central Auckland and Devonport.
Legacy scheme areas are usually a designated parking space in a street.
Parking scheme features
- If you live or operate a home-based business in one of the streets a scheme and your residence meets the eligibility criteria outlined in our policy document, you can apply for a permit that gives exemption from parking restrictions.
- Permit only applies to the street it is issued for.
- Each permit will be linked to a vehicle registration. If you are not the registered owner of the vehicle, you will need to provide written authorisation from the owner in order to use the permit.
- If you live or operate a business in Anne Street, Devonport, and do not have off-street parking, you can apply for a parking permit that gives exemption from parking restrictions. Each property is limited to 2 permits.
There are 2 types of permits
- Residents exempt - allows a permit-holder to park in designated time-restricted or pay and display parking areas without the need to comply with the restriction or pay for the time. A permit only applies to certain areas of the street it is issued for.
- Residents only - allocates a section of road for the exclusive use of permit-holders (this scheme is being phased out and we are no longer issuing new permits).
The permits fee is $70 per year, per vehicle.
Resident parking scheme permits are valid for 1 year from the time the application is granted.
Permits must be renewed annually.
How to apply
To apply for a residential parking scheme permit complete the application form for your area.
- Central Auckland schemes application form.
- Anne Street, Devonport residents scheme application form.
- Proof of residence is required for all permit applications.
- All documentation must clearly show your full name and address, and be dated with the last 3 months.
- Vehicle registration details. If you have a company vehicle that is not registered to your home address, include a note from your employer.
Documents that are accepted as proof of residence:
- Generated bill dated within the last two months, eg power or internet bill.
- Electoral roll letter.
- Recent tenancy agreement that clearly shows your name and full address.
Documents that are not accepted are:
- Water or rates bills are not accepted as they confirm ownership, not residency.
- Bank statements or documents.
- Property documents, such as Title papers and Sales and Purchase agreement.
- We will process your application and contact you to let you know if your permit(s) have been approved and how to pay for them.
- The processing of your application may be delayed if the correct information or proof of residence is not provided.
- Site inspection and investigation may be undertaken by Auckland Transport prior to approving permits.
- Submitting an application for a residential parking scheme permit does not exempt the vehicle from parking scheme restrictions.
- Parking signs and restrictions must be adhered to until the parking permit has been approved and activated, or the vehicle may incur a parking fine.
- Once we confirm your payment, your electronic permit will be activated and we will send you a confirmation email.
- Online: Account2Account or credit card - Once your permit application is approved, online payment can be made by credit card or account to account. We will send you an email with a link to our secure online payment site. Account2Account is currently only available for customers of these banks: ANZ, ASB, BNZ, KiwiBank, TSB, Westpac.
- By cheque - If you are paying by cheque, you can send a cheque made out to Auckland Transport along with the reference number from your online application and send it
to:Parking Permits, Auckland Transport, Private Bag 92250, Victoria Street West, Auckland 1142.
- Cash - Cash payments are not accepted by post or in person.