Pilot exemption pack Pilot exemption pack
Ships masters in the Auckland region are required to have a PEC (Pilot Exempt Certificate) in order to be able to bring a vessel over 500GT (Gross Tonnage) into pilotage areas without embarking a licenced pilot.
This page compiles all the documentation required to obtain a PEC.
For further information and to arrange a PEC examination, contact the Harbourmaster's office, c/o Auckland Transport, or phone: 09 362 0397.
You need to fill out the PEC application form and the Fit and proper person form.
Get the forms from the Maritime NZ website.
2. Harbourmaster’s Direction 2-20: Vessel Operating Requirements (PDF 137KB)
3. Harbourmaster’s Direction 3-20: Pilotage (PDF 321KB)
4. Harbour rules and regulations
5. Exempt Master log book (PDF 162KB)
6. Structured training programme - updated October 2020 (PDF 299KB)
8. POAL Tidal Current Maps - Neap (PDF 1MB)
8a. POAL Tidal Current Maps - Spring (PDF 1MB)
8b. POAL Tidal Current Map Inner Rangitoto Channel (PDF 3.3MB)
8c. POAL Tidal Current Map Outer Rangitoto Channel (PDF 1.75MB)
9. MNZ Advisory Circular - Part 90 Pilotage (PDF 130KB)
10. Pilotage Exemption blank chart exercise (PDF 23KB)
Pilot Exempt Master peer review
Masters holding a current PEC for the Auckland or Manukau Harbour must comply with annual assessment requirements, as required by Maritime Rule Part 90.
The peer review form is to be used by Pilot Exempt Masters in order to meet these requirements.
Download the Pilot Exempt Masters peer review form (PDF 276KB)