University of Auckland, AUT and Massey University students
If you are a student enrolled with University of Auckland, AUT or Massey University you can receive discounted travel on trains, selected buses and ferries when you apply for an AT tertiary student concession on your AT HOP card.
If you are enrolled with other tertiary institutes, follow the 5 steps below to get your AT tertiary concession.
5 steps to get a tertiary concession
If you already have a registered AT HOP card go straight to step 3.
If your AT HOP card is registered to a linked account go straight to step 5.
Step 1: Buy a card
If you don't have an AT HOP card then first buy a card. You need the card number to be able to register the card.
Step 2: Register your AT HOP card online
Create MyAT online account and then log in to register your AT HOP card. You have the option to register a card for yourself or for someone else if you want to manage the card on your account. Find out about managing cards for others.
Step 3: Ensure you have proof of eligibility
Get an AT Tertiary ID sticker on your Tertiary Student ID card from your tertiary institute to prove eligibility. You need this for your application in step 4.
Who can get a tertiary concession
- Tertiary students that have a current AT tertiary ID sticker on their tertiary student ID card, available from participating tertiary institutions.
- When using public transport, tertiary students must have their current tertiary student ID card with a current AT tertiary ID sticker with them and present it on request to prove their eligibility for travel (PDF 197KB).
- Tertiary concessions are not available on a cash fare.
- Any tertiary student without proof of their eligibility for travel. When using public transport, tertiary students must have their current tertiary student ID card with a current AT tertiary ID sticker with them and present it on request to prove their eligibility for travel (PDF 197KB).
Step 4: Submit your concession application online
- Log in to your MyAT online account.
- Click on "MyAT HOP cards" and select the card you want to apply a concession to.
- Select Apply for a concession/discount fare.
- Confirm your details are correct.
- Fill in the relevant eligibility details.
- Click submit.
What you need to know
- Your AT HOP card needs to be registered before a tertiary concession can be applied.
- You may only hold one AT HOP card with a tertiary concession on it.
- If eligible, you may also hold a Gold AT HOP card with a SuperGold concession on it and a AT HOP card with a Tertiary concession. Find out more about the multiple concessions.
- Your AT HOP tertiary concession will expire on the same date as your student ID or AT tertiary ID sticker, whichever is the earliest.
- When using public transport, tertiary students must have their current tertiary student ID card with a current AT tertiary ID sticker with them and present it on request to prove their eligibility for travel (PDF 121KB).
Step 5: Load a concession onto your AT HOP card
Visit your nearest AT customer service centre or one of our pop-up student concession kiosks to load a concession on your card. Remember to take your AT HOP card and student ID card along.
There are some bus and ferry services which are not covered under the tertiary concession discount scheme including:
- Waiheke Ferry services.
Auckland Transport and its operators reserve the right to add or remove any route or service from the discount scheme at any time without notice. If in doubt, students should check directly with the relevant operators to see if they accept the AT tertiary ID sticker on their services.
You may also be interested in:
- Tertiary campus transport
- Fare stages & zones
- How to pay for public transport
- Ticket and Top-Up machines
- Ticket agents