Skip to Main Content
Auckland Transport

Residential Parking Permits FAQs Residential Parking Permits FAQs

I live at a priority 1 address, why have I not got a permit? 

  • The cap for your residential zone has reached its limit and during the prioritisation process, you have been rejected for a permit. This is likely to be due to your property already having permit(s) approved. For example, Priority 1 addresses are issued with their first permit before any other address. We then proceed to issue other properties with their first permit, before issuing a priority 1 address with their second permit. This continues until the number of permits reaches the cap. So, if you have been rejected during the prioritisation phase, it is more than likely your address already has been approved for one or more permits by other residents.
  • You have missed the go-live date, and the CAP has already been reached. We do not withdraw permits that have already been approved for the cycle year. 

What is the difference between my permit being ‘Approved’ and ‘Granted’?

  • When you submit a permit application, the status will show as ‘Pending’.
  • Once the application has been processed, this will change to ‘Approved’. At this stage, payment has not been made and the permit is not active – it’s approved but pending payment.
  • Once payment has been received successfully, the status will change to ‘Granted’ and the permit will be active. Please note that if your permit is on ‘Approved’ for too long, it is likely we have attempted to take payment, but it has failed.
  • You will need to update your payment details and email us to let us know so we can put the payment through. 

How do I query my infringement notice?

The parking permit team is unable to waive, or review infringement notices issued to vehicles. You are welcome to request a review via our Infringement Review Team, this can be completed here; 

How do I update the registered address of my vehicle? And why do I have to do this?

  • To update the registered address of your vehicle you can phone the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) on 0800 108 809 or use their online services. 
  • Please note, we do not require you to change ownership or the mailing address of the vehicle, we only require the registered physical address to be updated. 
  • The reason we check the registered address of vehicles is so that permits are not issued to people who are not living in the Residential Parking Zones. In 2021 we began using the NZTA MotoChek database to review the registrations of vehicles, which has improved the accuracy of this vetting process. 

Why has my property been excluded from the Residential Parking Zone?

  • The objective of the zones is to provide greater parking availability and flexibility for residents and visitors. 
  • In considering where the boundary should be drawn and who might be eligible to apply for a permit, Auckland Transport has used the unitary plan to identify areas that are zoned as residential. Areas that are not zoned as Residential have been excluded as they do not have a residential focus and as such it is unlikely that any form of residential parking initiative will be implemented in these locations. 
  • While we appreciate that there will be residential elements to some of these areas these usually involve intensification and are not single dwellings. To include these areas immediately opens increased eligibility which in turn leads to increased demand within close proximity to the property location. 
  • Auckland Transport always advises not to rely on on-street parking as this can be subject to parking controls or changes that might not meet specific needs. 

My permit application has not been processed yet, why is this?

  • We aim to process permit applications as soon as we can, this is normally within 10 working days. When we are experiencing high volumes of applications, this can take longer. 
  • If your zone is renewing, please note that we only process the applications in the last week before the new cycle is set to begin. 
  • Submitting an application for residential parking permits or coupons does not exempt the vehicle from parking restrictions. Parking signs and restrictions must be adhered to until the parking permit has been granted, or the coupon activated, otherwise, the vehicle may incur a parking infringement. 

How do I update my payment details?

  • All payments for permits are taken from the card that you have uploaded to your AT Park account. 
  • Please note that this is different to your AT HOP card and we are unable to use payment from your AT HOP account to pay for your permit. 
  • Steps on how to update your payment details can be found here parking/paying-for-parking/at-park-help/

Why aren’t my coupons working on my AT Park app?

You must have a granted coupon book to be able to access the one-day coupons. To activate the coupons through your AT Park app, you will need: 

  • The most recent version of AT Park downloaded 
  • To be using the same phone as the mobile number you have in your AT Park account 
  • To be signed in with the same email address as you have applied for the coupon with The permit page on the AT Park app might not display the coupon book, but you should be able to click the ‘+’ symbol and then select the permit type to enter whether you want to use free or paid coupons.

Why is my permit $70 when I will not have it for a full year?

  • Residential Parking Zones are a targeted solution to address a parking issue in the area, AT is using a targeted charging system so that those people that benefit from the scheme pay for it. 
  • It is not a monthly charge or yearly charge that can be divided into constituent parts, the fee is the one-off payment required each time a permit is granted and processed, regardless of how long the permit will be active before the zones cycle renews. 

The cap for my zone has been reached, what do I do?

  • We have a waitlist to which we can add your details, so we can be in touch if a permit space becomes available. 
  • We cannot issue permits over the cap. If you have no off-street parking available, you will need to either park further away from the zone, use paid parking (on-street or in a car park) or investigate leasing parking space from a private provider. 
  • Auckland Transport always advises not to rely on on-street parking as this can be subject to parking controls or changes that might not meet specific needs. 

I am moving zones, can I transfer my permit?

Permits cannot be transferred across zones. A new permit application is required for the new zone. 

Need help

Call us 09 528 7275 or use our feedback form.

If you are experiencing family violence, don't worry, the information within this pop-up won't appear in your browser's history.

Privacy policy

We’ve made asking for help safer than ever.

Join us in standing up against domestic violence and making more places of refuge across the internet.

If you, your business or your agency want to have The Shielded Site tab on your site we’ve made adding it very easy.

Click here to find out more. (WARNING: this will take you away from our shielded portal.)


If you are living in fear in your relationship or in your family, there are so many ways we can help you right now. You won’t be turned away even if you don’t have children, a NZ visa, or money. If you still have more questions have a read below and contact us when you’re ready.

I’m ready to talk now.

You can call our 24-hour support and crisis line on 0800 REFUGE (733843). Or, if you prefer, you can click here and contact us discretely through our contact form and we will email you back as soon as possible.

What will I do for money?

There are a number of benefits and allowances you may be eligible for if you are a victim of domestic violence in New Zealand. We can help you better understand your options once you make contact.

I haven’t been beaten up, can Women’s Refuge still help me?

We support women who have experienced any form of domestic violence: verbal, psychological/emotional, sexual, and financial as well as physical. In fact, psychological/emotional abuse is the most common form of domestic violence.

How much does it cost to stay?

Women's Refuge support and advocacy services are free. In the safe house, rent is usually charged once your financial situation is sorted out. Safety is our main concern. You won't be turned away if you don't have any money.

How long can I stay in a safe house?

Some women only stay a night or two, while others stay for weeks. You can talk with the advocates at your local refuge about how long you think you need to stay to ensure your safety.

I don’t live with my partner, but he is abusing me. Can you still help me?

Yes, you don’t have to be living with your partner to experience domestic violence and you can still call us.

What happens if I haven't got any clothes or food?

Women's Refuge has clothing that you can have. We’ve also got toys and books, formula and nappies. You are welcome to use our emergency food until you get your financial situation sorted out.

Will other people be there?

Safe houses usually have other women, including women with their children, staying there. Refuge advocates are around during the day.

How will I get my kids to school?

The advocates at your local refuge will help you work out transport for your children, or help with changing schools.

Can Women's Refuge help me if I stay in my own house?

Yes, we can provide all the same support and advocacy for you no matter where you choose to live. You may be eligible to access support through the Whanau Protect service.

I'm living in a rural area. Can you still help me?

Yes. Find your local refuge and they will be able to arrange support, advocacy and transport for you.

Can Women's Refuge help around issues with children?

Yes. We can provide support and advocacy around matters to do with custody, access and care.


The safest way to browse the internet if you suspect your browsing history is being monitored, is to use your browser’s private or incognito mode.

If you suspect your device has been compromised by spyware, then you should use consider using another device as some spyware may still be able to monitor icognito sessions.

To activate a private browsing session, follow the instructions below.


Open Safari > go to the File menu > select New Private Window

When finished, don’t forget to close your browser window to ensure your safety and privacy.


Open Chrome > go to the triple-dot menu (top right of your browser's window) > select New Incognito Window

Internet Explorer

Open IE > click the Tools button > select Safety > and then click InPrivate Browsing

Mozilla Firefox

Open Firefox > click the menu button ☰ > and then click New Private Window

You should see a message in the new window saying that you are now browsing privately.

When finished, don’t forget to close your browser window to ensure your safety and privacy.

Getting out

The most important thing is for you and your children to get out safely. It is important to know that leaving a violent relationship can be one of the most dangerous times for women and children so it is important to make a safety plan around leaving and keep your plans confidential. Below are some tips to help you make a plan.

  • If you can, pack a bag with bare necessities and important documents that you can leave with someone you trust. Include important documents such as passport, birth certificate, bank account details, driver’s licence, and bank cards and other things like medicines.

  • Know abuser's schedule and safe times to leave.

  • Contact us for guidance or a safe place to stay for you and your children.

Getting help

We warmly welcome all women and their children to access our support, advocacy and crisis accommodation. If you need help or have questions, use our live chat to get in touch.

making a plan

The safety of you and your children (if you have them) will be your primary concern. If you’re not ready or cannot safely leave, here are some things you can do to stay safe now.

  • Make a safety plan with the guidance of a refuge advocate.

  • Get yourself a pre-paid phone; keep it charged and safe.

  • Keep photocopies of important documents (passport, birth certificate, bank account details, medical notes, driver's licence, etc) and store these at the home of a supportive friend or family member.

  • Keep a journal of all violent incidents, noting dates and events.

  • If you can, open your own bank account and try to save some money.

  • If you have pets you are worried about, consider them in your safety plan.

Privacy Policy – The Shielded Site Application.


In this privacy policy, the terms ‘NCIWR’, ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’ refer to National Collective of Independent Women’s Refuges Inc. NCIWR operates this web application at (‘this web application’).

This privacy policy explains how we may collect, store, use, and disclose personal information that we collect and that you provide to us. By using this web application you acknowledge that we may collect, store, use, and disclose your personal information in the manner set out in this privacy policy.

Collection of personal information

We may collect personal information from you when you use this web application, for example when you make a request for contact on this web application.

You may decide not to provide your personal information to us. However, if you do not provide it, we may not be able to provide you with access to certain information or services. For example, we may be unable to make contact with you if you do not provide us with your contact information.

Automated collection of non-personal information

When you visit this web application, we will not add traceable elements (such as cookies, sessions, and usage monitoring software) to your browser or device.

Use and disclosure

We will not use or disclose your personal information except in accordance with this privacy policy or the Privacy Act 1993. We may use your personal information to:

  • assist in providing information and services requested by you;

  • communicate with you

Your personal information will only be made available internally for the above purposes. We will not disclose your personal information to third parties. We will only use or disclose personal information that you have provided to us, or which we have obtained about you:

  • for the above-mentioned purposes;

  • if you have otherwise authorised us to do so;

  • if we have given you notification of the intended use or disclosure and you have not objected to that use or disclosure;

  • if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions;

  • if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers and users, or others;

  • if we are required or permitted by law to disclose the information; or

  • to another entity that carries on the business of operating this web application.

Storage and security

All personal information collected on this web application is collected and held by NCIWR. We will endeavour to protect your personal information that is held by us from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction.

Third party service providers

This website may be hosted by one or more third party service providers (‘service providers’) who enable us to provide this web application. You acknowledge and agree that any personal information that may be collected on this web application may also be held and used by our service providers on our behalf. Any information collected will be securely sent and securely stored on a server.

Third party websites

This web application may be hosted by websites operated by third parties. We are not responsible for the content of such websites, or the manner in which those websites collect, store, use, or distribute any personal information you provide. When you visit third party websites from hyperlinks displayed on this web application, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of those websites so that you can understand how the personal information you provide may be collected, stored, used, and distributed.

Right to access and correct

You may request access to, or correction of, any personal information we hold about you by contacting us as follows:
Post:Privacy Officer
PO Box 27-078
Marion Square
Wellington 6141

To ensure that the contact information we hold about you is accurate and current, please notify us of any changes to such information as soon as possible.

Contacting NCIWR

Any emergency relating to domestic violence should be directed to 111 for New Zealand Police assistance.

If you request assistance through this website, we will endeavour to respond as soon as we can. If you require advocacy services phone 0800 REFUGE or 0800 733 843 to talk to a refuge in your area within New Zealand. All member refuges of NCIWR are listed on our main website ( If you do visit the Women’s Refuge Website, please note that it is a traceable site so we recommend you use the online safety tips found on this web application to visit safely.

Advocacy services are available at member refuges. Your call and information will be treated in confidence and privacy.

Changes to our privacy policy

We reserve the right, at our discretion, to alter this privacy policy at any time. Changes to this privacy policy will take effect immediately once they are published on this web application. Please check this privacy policy regularly for modifications and updates. If you continue to use this web application or if you provide any personal information after we post changes to this privacy policy, this will indicate your acceptance of any such changes.

This privacy policy was last updated on 6 October 2015.

If You’re In
Immediate danger

If you fear for your safety:

  1. Run outside and head for where there are other people.
  2. Ask someone to call 111
  3. If you have children take them with you if you can
  4. Don't stop to get anything else