Jump onboard public transport and see how easy, quick, and affordable it is to travel to and from Auckland Airport with us.
On this page
AirportLink bus service
The orange AirportLink bus service carries passengers between Auckland Airport, Puhinui Station, and Manukau Bus Station.
Puhinui Station connects to the wider public transport network, so you can travel to and from Auckland Airport, from anywhere. You can get from the city centre all the way to Auckland Airport for just $5.80.
Stage 3b Rail Network Rebuild
From 26 January, on some evenings and weekends during Stage 3b of the Rail Network Rebuild, trains will not be running between Puhinui and Papakura.
You can still use the AirportLink bus to travel to Puhinui and Manukau, but you’ll need to take one of these alternatives to continue your journey to Papakura:
- Bus Route 33: 15-minute frequency all day, running between Manukau and Papakura Station via Great South Road
- Bus Route 365: Hourly frequency all day, running between Manukau and Papakura Station, via Porchester Road
- Rail Bus Southern (RBS): Stopping at all stations between Puhinui and Papakura when trains aren’t running.
To view a list of upcoming rail closures, visit our planned rail closures page.
For customers travelling towards the city centre, take the AirportLink bus to Puhinui then transfer to an Eastern or Southern Line train towards Waitematā Station (Britomart).
Arriving in Auckland for the first time?
You’ll need an AT HOP card to use public transport. Find out how to get one.
Leaving Auckland Airport
The AirportLink bus will take you to Puhinui Station, where you can travel anywhere on the AT network.
- At Puhinui Station, you can catch a train to anywhere along the Southern Line and Eastern Line, getting you to Central, East, and South Auckland.
- The AirportLink bus leaves from bus stop B at the Domestic terminal and bus stop A at the International terminal. Look out for the orange signage.
- AirportLink buses have room for your luggage on board and travel on bus priority lanes to both the Domestic and International Airport Terminals.
Travelling to Auckland Airport
- You can travel from Central, East, and South Auckland on the Southern Line and Eastern Line to Puhinui Station.
- Puhinui Station connects with the orange AirportLink bus, which operates every 10 minutes from 4.30am to 12.40am, 7 days a week.
- Puhinui Station to Domestic Terminal - 13 to 17 minutes
- Puhinui Station to International Terminal – 18 to 20 minutes
Route 38 bus service
If you’re travelling between Auckland Airport and Onehunga via Māngere Town Centre, you can take the 38 bus.
You can get from Onehunga all the way to the Airport for just $2.40.
- It operates every 15 to 20 minutes during the day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- At the terminals, it stops at the same bus stops as the AirportLink service.
- Onehunga to the airport - 30 to 35 minutes.
The map shows routes for major train lines including Eastern, Southern, Western and Onehunga train lines. It also shows major interchanges where you can transfer from bus to train and vice versa.
Plan your journey
From 2023 to 2025, train lines will close in sections for important works. Visit our Planned rail closures page to see if your travel will be affected.
Getting an AT HOP card
An AT HOP card is a reusable pre-paid travel card that you top up and you will need it to travel on Auckland Transport's buses, trains and ferries. AT HOP cards have a purchase price of $5, with a minimum top up of $1.
Where to buy an AT HOP card at Auckland Airport
- AT HOP card vending machine located next to the AirportLink bus stop, just outside door 4 of the Auckland Airport Domestic terminal.
- AirGo Convenience, located in the Regional arrivals/departures area of the Domestic terminal.
- Head to the Take Home Convenience shop, located in the International arrivals area, right next to the building exit. Follow the exit sign which says 'Transport' and you'll see the shop on your right.
How to use and top up an AT HOP card
Load some money onto your new card to begin using it. No cash is accepted on AT buses.
To to-up in person, view a full list of AT HOP retailers and find your nearest HOP retailer or visit your local train station and use the top-up machine there to load more money to your card.
If you purchase a pre-loaded AT HOP card from our vending machine, it will automatically be loaded with $20 credit. Find out how to top up your AT HOP card online.
Tag on by holding your AT HOP card flat and still to the AT HOP card reader or electronic gate until you hear a beep. Do the same thing when you exit.
Fares to and from Auckland Airport
You can get from the city centre to Auckland Airport for just $5.80, or Onehunga to Auckland Airport for just $2.40.
Find out about our fare zones and integrated fares system.