Senior citizens can travel for free on selected bus, train and ferry services after 9am weekdays and all day weekends and public holidays with a SuperGold card or AT senior citizen ID card. Exclusions apply.
- Apply or renew SuperGold concession on your AT HOP card.
- Getting a SuperGold or senior citizen concession on a cash fare.
- Apply for AT senior citizen ID card.
What you need to know
- You may only hold one AT HOP card with a SuperGold concession on it.
- The SuperGold concession or senior citizen concession applies to any travel after 9am weekdays. If you travel before 9am, adult fares will apply.
- ID required when travelling - when using public transport Super Gold card holders and AT senior citizen card holders must have their current SuperGold ID card or AT senior citizen ID with them and present it on request to prove their eligibility for travel.
- Not valid on inter regional rail services.
- Not valid on Airbus Express, NiteRider and inter-regional coach, tour or charter services.
- Free travel does not apply on ferries serving Rangitoto, Great Barrier and Rakino, tour services and tourist destinations such as Tiritiri Matangi.
SuperGold card or senior citizen concession is available on
- All scheduled trains in the Auckland network. Not valid on inter regional rail services
- All scheduled public transport bus services in the Auckland network EXCEPT Airbus Express, NiteRider and inter-regional coach, tour or charter services.
- Free travel applies to scheduled public transport ferry services between Downtown and Pine Harbour, West Harbour, Gulf Harbour, Half Moon Bay, Devonport, Stanley Bay, Birkenhead/Northcote Point, Bayswater, Waiheke Island (Fullers), Hobsonville and Beach Haven.
- Free travel applies to SeaLink vehicular ferries from Half Moon Bay 7 days and Auckland City Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and public holidays to Kennedy Point on Waiheke Island. For timetable information and conditions of travel visit www.sealink.co.nz
When you board a bus, show your SuperGold card or AT senior citizen card ID to the driver to purchase a single-trip paper ticket.
ID required when travelling - when using public transport SuperGold card holders and AT senior citizen card holders must have their current SuperGold ID card or AT senior citizen ID with them and present it on request to prove their eligibility for travel.
If you are travelling before 9am weekdays, you must pay the full adult fare.
If you wish to travel using an AT HOP card, you can have a SuperGold concession loaded onto your card.
What you need to know
- Travel commencing after 9am weekdays and all day on weekends and on public holidays will still be free and you will be able to tag on and tag off with your AT HOP card.
- Travel commencing before 9am will be charged at adult fares to your HOP money balance on your AT HOP card with at least 20% discount off single trip cash fares (excludes NiteRider and Airbus Express bus services and Waiheke ferry services).
- If SuperGold concession holders tag-on before 9am (for example 8:49am) then this is your travel start time and you will be charged adult fares.
- Your AT HOP card needs to be registered before an SuperGold concession can be applied.
- It may take 24-48 hours after registration for the concession to be applied.
- You may only hold one AT HOP card with an SuperGold concession on it.
- Your AT HOP SuperGold concession will expire on 1 January 2030.
How to apply
- Register for AT HOP if you do not have an AT HOP or MyAT account, otherwise log in.
- If you do not already have an AT HOP card buy a card online or find out where to get an AT HOP card.
- Register your AT HOP card.
- Fill in the form to apply for a concession
- Select the registered AT HOP card you want the concession applied to, as you may only hold one AT HOP card with an SuperGold concession.
- Enter your SuperGold card ID number and submit the form.
Apply or renew SuperGold concession on your AT HOP card.
Who can get an AT senior citizen ID card
- To be eligible for an AT senior citizen ID card you must be both a permanent Auckland resident and aged 65 years or over.
- This card is only available to senior citizens who are not eligible for the SuperGold card (ie, senior citizens who do not receive NZ Superannuation).
Who does not qualify
- If you are eligible for a SuperGold card you are not eligible to apply for a senior citizen ID card, however all existing senior citizen ID cards are still valid.
How to apply
- Cost of the card is $7.00, and this covers the administration and production costs of the card.
- You can obtain an AT senior citizen ID card application form by contacting us on 09 366 6400.
- Once your application has been received, your ID card will arrive in the mail in approximately ten working days (depending on demand).
- Your card may be used as soon as you receive it.
Lost or stolen AT senior citizen ID card
- If you lose your card, or it is stolen, please write to: c/- Total Mobility team, Auckland Transport, Private Bag 92-250, Auckland 1142, and inform us of the loss, giving your name, address, phone number, date of birth and payment of $7.00 for a new card (cheques made payable to 'Auckland Transport').
- If your previous card was issued before December 2000, you will also need to send in a new photo.