If you're a new traveller or just visiting Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland, find out how to travel on buses, trains and ferries using an AT HOP card.
- Step 1: Get an AT HOP card
- Step 2: Plan your journey
- Step 3: Download the AT Mobile app
- Step 4: Time to travel
- Helpful links for your travel
To travel on buses, trains and ferries in Auckland, you need an AT HOP card, which is a reusable prepaid travel card to use on public transport.
Using an AT HOP card to travel provides at least a 20% discount on every single trip compared to paying cash for bus, train and ferry fares (excludes SkyBus and Waiheke ferry services).
Buy an AT HOP card
You can buy an AT HOP card for $5 (excluding pre-loaded HOP cards) via the following options
- Buy it online and have it posted to a New Zealand address
- Buy it at a retail location near you.
- Buy it at a customer service centre.
Register your AT HOP card
When you register your card online you can
- top up and manage your transactions online
- set up auto top up to save time
- protect your balance if your card is ever lost or stolen, and
- apply for discounts or concessions.
You need to top up your AT HOP card with a minimum of $1 at the time of purchase. If you order online, the minimum top up is $5.
You can top up via the following options:
- Top up your card online.
- Top up in person at a ticket machine located at bus stops and terminals.
- Top up over the counter at many of our AT HOP retail locations.
- Top up at one of our customer service centres.
Card concessions and discounts
There are several concessions available including discounted fares for children, students, accessible and those over 65 years old. You can register for these online.
Now that you have registered and topped up your AT HOP card, you can now plan your travel using Journey Planner.
- Simply enter your starting point and end destination into the Journey Planner, then click 'Plan my journey', and it will show you the transport options for your trip.
- Your search results will show the service, walking time, departure and arrival times, and how much it will cost.
- You can search for a journey that leaves now, or for a selected time in the future.
- Use the filters to set your preferences like to show trains only or school buses.
If you have a smartphone the AT Mobile app makes your journey easier for when you are out on public transport in Auckland.
With AT Mobile you can
- Use the journey planner to find out how to get to your destination.
- Check Live Departures to track where your bus or train is and check how full it is.
- Receive notifications and alerts about travel disruptions or changes to services.*
- View and manage your AT HOP card balance on the go.
*Remember to opt in to receive notifications in the app.
Download the AT Mobile App.
- Arrive early at your stop or station as some services, particularly buses, can run a few minutes ahead of schedule.
- Track your bus in real-time using Live Departures in AT Mobile so you can plan your journey accordingly.
- Tag on with your AT HOP card to pay for your trip by holding your AT HOP card flat and still on the reader for a second. The reader will flash green if your 'tag on' is successful (or green and amber for cards that have a concession applied).
- Tag off when you've completed your journey, do the same as you exit the train station, bus, or ferry terminal to tag off. The reader (or electronic gate) will display the amount paid for your trip as well as your remaining AT HOP balance. Note: If you don't tag off, you may be charged a default fare.
- You can pay for others on the bus. Simple tag on as usual, then ask the bus driver to buy a paper ticket for your travelling companion.
- You can pay for others on the train. Use your HOP Money to buy a paper ticket from a Ticket & Top-up Machine.