Getting to work by public transport, carpooling, cycling or walking can lead to a more active and healthy lifestyle.
Using sustainable transport modes also helps reduce congestion and contributes towards a more liveable city.
Explore your transport options
- Use public transport to connect with others.
- Be active by walking or cycling to a bus stop or train station.
- Using public transport provides staff with time to relax, read and socialise.
- AT offers a two-week public transport trial so staff can try it out for their commute.
Walking and cycling
- Walking or cycling to work can help boost mental and physical wellbeing by incorporating the Five Ways to Wellbeing into everyday routine.
- Regular walking and cycling can provide many of the benefits of attending a gym.
- AT offers a range of cycling courses that can help staff be active by riding a bike.
- Sharing car rides with others helps people build the Five Ways to Wellbeing into their everyday lives.
- Carpooling can create a sense of community and wellbeing as staff get to know their neighbours and work colleagues better.
- Carpooling has positive benefits for commuters, as they may only need to drive a few times a week instead of every day, reducing traffic and parking stress.
- Having a friendly conversation with other people in the car is a great way to start and finish the day.
- Staff can sign up to Let’s Carpool to find other people in their area who are interested in carpooling to work.
5 Ways to wellbeing
The 5 Ways to Wellbeing are a set of simple actions that we can do everyday to help boost wellbeing.
Incorporating the 5 ways into our commute to work is a good way of experiencing the benefits of each action.
The 5 ways to wellbeing are:
- Connect - building connections with people around you will support and enrich your life at work and home.
- Give - seeing yourself and your happiness linked to the wider community can be incredibly rewarding and creates connections with the people around you.
- Take notice - be aware of the world around you and what you are feeling.
- Keep learning - learning new things will make you more confident and can be fun.
- Be active - exercising makes you feel good.
More information on the 5 ways to wellbeing
There are a number of Apps that can be used to help improve health and wellbeing by tracking physical activities and helping individuals achieve goals: