Getting to work by public transport, carpooling, cycling or walking can lead to a more active and healthy lifestyle.
Using sustainable transport modes also helps reduce congestion and contributes towards a more liveable city.
Explore your transport options
- Use public transport to connect with others.
- Be active by walking or cycling to a bus stop or train station.
- Using public transport provides staff with time to relax, read and socialise.
- AT offers a two-week public transport trial so staff can try it out for their commute.
Walking and cycling
- Walking or cycling to work can help boost mental and physical wellbeing by incorporating the Five Ways to Wellbeing into everyday routine.
- Regular walking and cycling can provide many of the benefits of attending a gym.
- AT offers a range of cycling courses that can help staff be active by riding a bike.
- Sharing car rides with others helps people build the Five Ways to Wellbeing into their everyday lives.
- Carpooling can create a sense of community and wellbeing as staff get to know their neighbours and work colleagues better.
- Carpooling has positive benefits for commuters, as they may only need to drive a few times a week instead of every day, reducing traffic and parking stress.
- Having a friendly conversation with other people in the car is a great way to start and finish the day.
- Staff can sign up to Let’s Carpool to find other people in their area who are interested in carpooling to work.
5 Ways to wellbeing
The 5 Ways to Wellbeing are a set of simple actions that we can do everyday to help boost wellbeing.
Incorporating the 5 ways into our commute to work is a good way of experiencing the benefits of each action.
The 5 ways to wellbeing are:
- Connect - building connections with people around you will support and enrich your life at work and home.
- Give - seeing yourself and your happiness linked to the wider community can be incredibly rewarding and creates connections with the people around you.
- Take notice - be aware of the world around you and what you are feeling.
- Keep learning - learning new things will make you more confident and can be fun.
- Be active - exercising makes you feel good.
More information on the 5 ways to wellbeing
- The New Economics Foundation website
- The Mental Health Foundation website
- Sovereign Wellbeing Index - Sovereign worked with AUT University Human Potential Centre to produce NZ’s first comprehensive survey measuring wellbeing and the quality of life. This can be used to measure your personal wellbeing and quality of life.
There are a number of Apps that can be used to help improve health and wellbeing by tracking physical activities and helping individuals achieve goals: