Bike Month Bike Month
March 2023 is Bike Month and we are inviting Travelwise schools to participate by running events and activities to promote cycling.
Not only is Bike Month a big part of our Travelwise calendar, it's also our first major activity of the year. With your help, we want to turn Tāmaki Makaurau into the 'City of Cycles'.
There are so many activities you can do for Bike Month. You and your student leadership team may have some great ideas of your own. Please talk to your Community Transport Coordinator for some additional fun ideas. They would love to be included in your month-long celebration of all that is cycling.
What about a school grant to help things along? Email your AT Community Transport Coordinator (CTC) with a short description of your event and how you plan to use any grant money.
Let's get cycling at your kura, Auckland
There's no better time than March 2023 Bike Month.
All our CTCs are keen to work with your school and get involved. Here are some suggestions to encourage your students to cycle to school:
Start a Bike Challenge
- Download and print off the Bike Challenge Chart (PDF 2.6MB).
- List the students’ names and record their bike trips during Bike Month.
- Use the grant money to buy rewards/prizes or host bike events to treat all cyclist biking to school during Bike Month.
Cycle activity game cards on the Cycling NZ website
- Cycle safety quiz (PDF 750KB).
- Checking helmet safety and fit (PDF 1.1MB).
- Cone game (PDF 623KB).
- Box game (PDF 568KB).
- Grass track race (PDF 1.3MB).
- Bottle zone (PDF 1MB).
- Slalom time trial (PDF 1.9MB).
- Turtle Race (PDF 861KB).
- hold a Bike to school milo morning
- have a Pit Stop where you can get helmet/bike safety checks
- hold a bike wash
- have a wheels day
- create your own fun bike event.
Download the Travelwise Bike month poster in English (PDF 2.4MB).
Download the Travelwise Bike month poster in Te Reo (PDF 2.4MB).