February 2022 is Bike Month and we are inviting Travelwise schools to participate by running events and activities to promote cycling during this month.
To encourage schools to run sustainable Bike Month activities throughout February, Auckland Transport can provide a Travelwise grant for schools taking part in Bike Month.
Send an email to your Auckland Transport Community Transport Coordinator, (CTC) with a short description of your event and how you plan to use any grant money.
Take part in our weekly themes.
- Week 1 - Helmet Checks
- Week 2 - Be bright be seen
- Week 3 - Dress up your bike
- Week 4 - Bike with a friend.
Students can download the GooseChase app on Android or iOS, look for the Travelwise Bike Month challenges and upload photos to complete the missions each week.
Teachers, get involved
We encourage all school teachers to get on board with Bike Month.
Ways to encourage your students to cycle to school
Start a Bike Challenge
- Download and print off the Bike Challenge Chart (PDF 2.56MB).
- List the students’ names and record their bike trips during Bike Month.
- Use the grant money to buy rewards/prizes or host bike events to treat all cyclist biking to school during Bike Month.
Cycle activity game cards on the Cycling NZ website
- Cycle safety quiz (PDF 750KB).
- Checking helmet safety and fit (PDF 1.1MB).
- Cone game (PDF 623KB).
- Box game (PDF 568KB).
- Grass track race (PDF 1.3MB).
- Bottle zone (PDF 1MB).
- Slalom time trial (PDF 1.9MB).
- Turtle Race (PDF 861KB).
- Hold a Bike to school milo morning.
- Have a Pit Stop where you can get helmet/bike safety checks.
- A bike wash.
- A wheels day.
- Create your own fun bike event.