Auckland Transport (AT) are proposing to make road safety improvements on residential streets in Manurewa to provide a safer environment for all road users. Provide feedback on the proposed road safety improvements proposed for Manurewa.
Project status: Consultation - closed 10 May 2019.
Project zone: South.
We aim to reduce vehicle speeds by installing a combination of speed-calming measures such as speed humps, raised tables, and zebra crossings where justified.
The improvements are proposed for within the area contained by Brown Road, Roscommon Road, Russell Road and Weymouth Road, as shown on the map below.
These improvements are part of AT's commitment to reducing the number of deaths and serious injuries on our roads by 60% over the next 10 years. This project is partly funded by the Regional Fuel Tax, and the Manurewa Local Board.
What we identified in Manurewa
We have identified various areas for road safety improvements, Manurewa has been prioritised based on these factors:
- Safety concerns raised by residents.
- Local Crash Analysis System (CAS) data – 213 crashes in the last five years.
- Vehicle speeds on key roads in Manurewa are in excess of the current speed limits.
- The two highest speeds recorded were in excess of 121km/h on Rowandale Road.
- Location of community facilities (schools, shops, parks and community centres).
The speed calming measures proposed for the area will help to create a slower speed environment, which is safer for everyone. This will help to reduce the risks of accidents, serious injuries and death as well as make the streets safer for pedestrians, encouraging people to walk and cycle more.
Proposed road safety improvements
To reduce vehicle speeds on local residential streets in Manurewa we are planning on installing a combination of speed calming measures such as:
- Raised table zebra crossings.
- Swedish-style speed tables.
- Speed humps.
- Raised intersections.
- Entry treatment.
The improvements will require the removal of five to six car parks where zebra crossings and raised tables are proposed, as well as the moving of some bus stops, for safety and visibility reasons.
Our transportation engineers have selected the type and location of each proposed safety
measure based on a variety of criteria. These include:
- Proximity to schools or other locations where there are a higher number of people walking or on bikes.
- International best practice guidelines for positioning measures to reduce speed in residential areas.
- Space available between driveways and/or bus stops.
- Whether roads are bus routes.
See the map for proposed locations.
The locations of speed calming improvements for your street, shown in detailed plans below:
- Download the proposed plans and locations of the speed calming measures in Manurewa (PDF 10.6MB, 11 pages).
Construction is due to begin in the fourth quarter of 2019.
We consulted on this proposal from 1 April 2019 to 10 May 2019 to improve our plan for the proposed road safety improvements. Local knowledge will help give us a better understanding of the area, your needs, and any improvements that can be made to the design.
We asked whether you:
- have any thoughts on the proposed safety improvements.
- have any suggested changes to the proposed road safety improvements.
- have any other comments or suggestions to improve road safety in Manurewa.
Your feedback is important to us. Once we have received and analysed all feedback, we will use it to help refine the design of the road safety measures.
We will also produce a report on the feedback received, which will be available on our website. Submitters who provide contact details will be notified when this report is available.