Northcroft Street, Takapuna - P5 loading zone Northcroft Street, Takapuna - P5 loading zone
Consultation status: closed 2 March 2018
Proposal reference: RTV-139
We propose to replace two existing pay parking spaces in front of 10 Northcroft Street with a P5 Loading Zone, which will apply 8am to 6pm daily, Monday to Sunday.
Download the consultation drawing for Northcroft Street (PDF 401KB).
Why the changes are needed
Auckland Transport has received requests for a loading zone out front of 10 Northcroft Street. As there are no existing loading zones in close proximity to this area, installation of a loading zone would greatly benefit local businesses.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Suggestion that the P5 Loading Zone only apply weekdays, Monday to Friday. Many local businesses continue to receive deliveries on weekends, so it is necessary to implement the loading zone all days of the week.
- Concerns that the 5 minute time limit on the loading zone will not be sufficient to make a delivery. As long as loading and unloading is observed, vehicles may utilise the loading zone space for longer than 5 minutes, if needed.
- Requests to extend the time limit on the loading zone to 15 minutes. P5 is the standard parking restriction typically applied to loading zones. However, vehicles may utilise these spaces for longer than 5 minutes if they are loading and unloading.
- Concern that vehicles using the P5 Loading Zone would produce additional pollution at this location. We believe that the proposed changes to parking restrictions will have a negligible impact on pollution on Northcroft Street. The spaces outlined in this proposal are currently used for on-street parking, and there is not substantial evidence to suggest that there are noticeable differences in the amount of pollution produced across types of parking restrictions.
- Concern that metering of street parking is inconvenient for those who prefer to use cash and for those who aren’t overly familiar with digital metering. We aim to provide a range of payment options at parking meters. Cash and credit card payments are currently available to customers at parking meters around Auckland.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.