Auckland Transport and Auckland Council are reviewing the 2015 Auckland Transport Parking Strategy to ensure that it is fit for a region that is growing at an incredible rate.
On this page
Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland's proposed Parking Strategy
Auckland Transport and Auckland Council are reviewing the 2015 Auckland Transport Parking Strategy to ensure it meets Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland's changing needs.
Our transport system faces many challenges, including a growing population, climate change, and legislative changes. All these issues will affect how we manage parking in our city.
You can find more information about our new Parking Strategy in our discussion document Parking in Auckland - Starting the conversation: how should Auckland manage its future parking needs.
View this webpage in other languages
Download the discussion document in other formats
Parking in Auckland
There are many different types of parking in Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland. These include parking provided by the private sector, landowners, and AT and Council.
Parking isn't just for cars. We also have parking for:
- Loading/Servicing Docks
- Taxis / Rideshare / Delivery service vehicles
Kickstarting our conversation with you
Parking is an important part of Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland’s transport eco-system. It's all around us and it's something most of us use each day. It helps us get to places and it can be a source of frustration when we think there isn't enough of it.
Most vehicular journeys involve parking at the start and end of the trip. Our travel choices can also impact or be impacted by parking availability and the resulting congestion on our roads.
Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland is a large and diverse region with limited road space. As our city continues to grow and roads become more difficult to widen, we'll need to find ways to get the most out of the roads we already have. This is especially important in Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland city centre and our major centres, where many of our businesses are.
That's why Auckland Council's Planning Committee has provided Auckland Transport and Auckland Council with direction on what our approach to meeting these challenges should be.
We've outlined this in our conversation starter document, Parking in Auckland - Starting the conversation. This document will give you background information on our parking situation and explain how and why we plan to meet the challenges facing parking in Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland.
We'll share this document with the public, business associations and business improvement district managers, academics, transport and planning experts, and decision makers like elected members. It's how we'll find out if we've missed anything.
We'll factor your feedback into our draft Parking Strategy 2022. We'll then open up this draft for a region-wide public consultation in the first half of 2022.
What we need to think about
Our new Parking Strategy needs to meet Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland's transport needs over the next decade.
That means that there are many important issues we need to think about. These include:
- Climate change and emissions reduction
- Expected population growth
- New government policies on land use and development
- How our Parking Strategy will work with the Auckland Unitary Plan
- Our regional transport plans, including our network plan Future Connect
- How we'll manage parking as a limited public resource
- Individual, community, business, and regional needs
You can learn more about how we're addressing these challenges in our discussion document.
- Early - Mid 2021:
- We looked into issues and opportunities around parking
- We conducted policy analysis and ensured strategic alignment
- We had a workshop with Auckland Council's Planning Committee
- July - August 2021:
- We offered workshops to local boards
- We developed drafts of 'Principles' and 'Approach to Parking Management'
- September-October 2021:
- We made changes based on feedback from local boards and the Planning Committee
- Early November 2021:
- The Planning Committee endorsed our draft 'Principles' and 'Approach to Parking Management'
- Mid-November 2021:
- We released our discussion document and started a conversation with Aucklanders around parking
- We continued policy development
- February - March 2022:
- We'll create a draft Parking Strategy based on your feedback
- We'll get permission from the AT Board and Planning Committee to consult on the draft Parking Strategy
- March - April 2022:
- We'll carry out public consultation on the draft Parking Strategy
- We'll receive feedback from local boards considering public feedback
- We'll make changes made based on your feedback
- We'll submit our final Parking Strategy to the Planning Committee for endorsement
- We'll submit our final Planning Strategy to the AT Board for approval
We want to know what you think about our new Parking Strategy.
You can give us your feedback by filling out our online survey.
Please answer the questions that are most relevant to you. You can answer as many questions as you'd like.
Scan the QR code to go to our online survey.
If you have questions or comments, you can also email us.
Please send your feedback to email@example.com by 15 January 2022.