Skip to Main Content
Auckland Transport

Total Mobility conditions of use Total Mobility conditions of use

Your Total Mobility AT HOP card gives you access to both the Total Mobility scheme and Auckland Transport's accessible concession.

There are terms and conditions that apply to both schemes and how you use your card.

For use of your Total Mobility AT HOP card for public transport travel, please refer to the accessible concession information and the AT HOP card terms of use.

Carefully read the conditions set out below before using your Total Mobility AT HOP card for travel under the Total Mobility scheme.

Last updated: 1 July 2020. Find out about this update.

1. Total Mobility AT HOP Card for travel under the Total Mobility scheme

1.1 Accepting conditions of use

By using your Total Mobility AT HOP card for travel under the Total Mobility scheme, you accept these conditions of use.

1.2 Conditions of use may change

These conditions may change from time to time. Auckland Transport ("AT") will publicise any change to these conditions on its website and in the electronic Total Mobility newsletter.

2. Eligibility for a Total Mobility AT HOP Card

2.1 Eligibility

To be eligible to hold a Total Mobility AT HOP Card you must have an impairment that prevents you from undertaking any one or more of the following five components of a journey unaccompanied, on a bus, train or ferry in a safe and dignified manner:

  • Getting to the place from where the transport departs.
  • Getting on to the transport.
  • Riding securely.
  • Getting off the transport.
  • Getting to the destination.

2.2 Fluctuating need

People who meet the criteria for the Total Mobility scheme and who can use bus, train or ferry services some of the time, but not all of the time are eligible for the scheme.

Explanatory note: A person with low vision may be able to use scheduled public transport during the day time but may be unable to safely use public transport after dark. Such a person is eligible for the Total Mobility scheme.

2.3 Children's eligibility

Children who meet the eligibility requirements of the Total Mobility scheme can hold a Total Mobility AT HOP card to support their independent participation in the community in ways similar to other children of their age.

Explanatory note: AT will normally grant access to the scheme to children who are of intermediate school age or older. Children of this age are starting to travel independently of their care givers for activities such as visiting friends or going to the movies. Below intermediate school age children are unlikely to be allowed to travel by themselves and as such will not normally be able to hold a Total Mobility AT HOP card.

3. Using your Total Mobility AT HOP card

3.1 Approved taxi operators

You can only use your card with taxi operators and their drivers who have been approved by AT to participate in the Total Mobility scheme.

3.2 Booking a trip

You need to tell the taxi operator when you book a cab and when you enter the cab that you will be using a Total Mobility card.

3.3 Hailing a cab

If you are hailing a taxi, make sure you tell the driver before you start your trip that you will be using a Total Mobility AT HOP card and ask the driver to swipe your card.

Explanatory note: Your safety and dignity are important to AT. Not all drivers for our taxi operators have sufficient training to carry Total Mobility customers. If you fail to show your card to the driver before travelling, you may end up with a non-Total Mobility driver and you will need to pay the full fare.

3.4 Getting your trip recorded

Get your Total Mobility AT HOP card swiped by the driver at the beginning of your trip. Depending on the in-vehicle system used by the taxi some drivers may need to also swipe your card at the end of the trip.

3.5 Keeping your card with you

Do not leave your Total Mobility AT HOP card with the driver.

3.6 Your share of the fare

You will need to pay the net cost (total cost less 50 percent subsidy) of the trip at the end of your journey. The maximum subsidy is $40 for a single trip.

Explanatory note: For example, a trip costing $70 means the client will pay $35. For a trip costing $80, the client will pay $40. For a trip costing $90, the client will pay $50. The trip costs for clients using a wheelchair hoist vehicle are the same, as AT pays the cost of using the wheelchair hoist/ramp.

3.7 Carer support travel is included

A carer can travel in the taxi with you.

3.8 Multiple passengers holding a Total Mobility AT HOP card

Other Total Mobility AT HOP cardholders can travel with you in the taxi and only one card needs to be swiped to record the discounted fare. The exception to this is if more than one client is using a wheelchair hoist, in this case a hoist fee is charged per wheelchair hoist user.

4. Travelling with a wheelchair

4.1 Wheelchair travel

Transport requiring a wheelchair accessible vehicle should be pre-booked whenever possible, due to the high demand for such specialised vehicles in Auckland. Booking is essential in the evening, holidays and weekends.

4.2 Carer assistance

If you are using a wheelchair accessible vehicle and travelling with a carer, your carer may be asked to assist the driver in getting you safely into and out of the vehicle. Securing the wheelchair safely in the vehicle is, however, the responsibility of the driver. If you are the carer support of someone in a wheelchair, please ensure their chair belt is fastened before entering the hoist.

5. Restrictions on use

Your Total Mobility AT HOP card is provided to support individuals with a long-term impairment that prevents them using scheduled public transport services to access appropriate transport to meet their daily needs. You can use your Total Mobility AT HOP card to travel for almost any purpose.

Total Mobility is not a chauffeur service, however, and does come with some restrictions on use.

5.1 Responsible use

You must use your Total Mobility AT HOP card in a responsible manner including taking the most efficient route and minimising use where possible.

5.2 Defining a trip

An eligible trip is from Point A to Point B; a round trip from Point A to Point A does not qualify for a Total Mobility subsidy.

5.3 Taxi waiting times

The exception to this rule is that you can ask a driver to wait for up to five minutes at a destination and it will still be counted as one trip.

Explanatory note: For waits longer than 5 minutes it is normally cheaper to pay any additional flag fall fee from the operator, rather than keep the meter running.

5.4 No shared cards

You are required to travel in the taxi when you use your Total Mobility AT HOP card. You cannot allow other people to use your card.

5.5 Travelling companions

You can have others in the taxi with you, but the purpose of the trip must be for your own travel, not the other passengers.

Explanatory note: Taking family members in the taxi with you to go to a family picnic is acceptable usage, but you cannot use your Total Mobility AT HOP card to take a family member to their place of work.

5.6 Chained trips

The maximum subsidy per Total Mobility trip is currently set at $40 (February 2020). It is not acceptable usage to repeatedly undertake trips claiming at or near the maximum subsidy, then stop the taxi and start a new journey within a few minutes of the previous trip ending. If you are using your Total Mobility AT HOP card in this manner AT may decline to pay any subsequent subsidy amount. You will be liable to the operator for this amount.

Explanatory note: For example, a trip from Highland Park to Manukau Central with a subsidy of $40, followed a minute later by a trip from Manukau Central to Kingsland claiming another subsidy of $40 is not acceptable use.

5.7 Multiple taxi trips in one day

You can book your first driver to make one additional journey e.g. your return journey. All other trips must be booked through the taxi operator's centralised booking and dispatch system. If you do not book the remainder of your trips that day through the operator’s booking system AT may decline to pay the subsidy on these trips. You will be liable to the operator for these amounts.

5.8 Restrictions on drivers

You cannot use your Total Mobility AT HOP card if the taxi driver is a family member or friend.

5.9 Work related travel

You can use your Total Mobility AT HOP card to travel to and from your work as such travel is normally paid by the employee.

Explanatory note: You cannot use your Total Mobility AT HOP card for work related travel e.g. visiting a customer, as this travel is the responsibility of the employer.

5.10 Rest Homes and Private Hospitals

If you are a rest home or private hospital resident, you cannot use your Total Mobility AT HOP card for transport to activities organised by the home/hospital.

5.11 Other government schemes

You cannot use your Total Mobility AT HOP card for transport services that are more appropriately the responsibility of other government agencies such as the Accident Compensation Corporation, District Health Boards or the Ministry of Education.

Explanatory note: If you are accessing treatment or rehabilitation and the health service provider will fund your transport it will be cheaper for you than using your own Total Mobility AT HOP card. The Ministry of Education Specialised School Transport Assistance (SESTA) scheme also funds travel to and from school for qualifying children. If your child qualifies for SESTA it will be cheaper for you than using Total Mobility.

5.12 Two or more funding sources

If you are receiving a contribution from another government agency specifically for your travel, please contact AT phone (09) 366 6400 prior to your journey to check whether you can still use your Total Mobility AT HOP card.

5.13 Companion Services

The Total Mobility AT HOP card can only be used for transport services from A to B. Some taxi operators offer companion services, these services are not funded by the Total Mobility scheme.

5.14 Collecting goods

You cannot ask taxi drivers to collect goods for you.

6. Looking after your Total Mobility AT HOP card

6.1 Care of your Total Mobility AT HOP card

Your card and card number are AT's property. They may not be copied or reproduced and may be retained by us at our sole discretion. You agree to immediately return or destroy your card when we ask you to.

6.2 Lost Total Mobility AT HOP cards

If your card is lost, stolen, damaged or faulty, we may issue a replacement card and this costs $10. To order a replacement card, contact your original disability support assessment agency who will be able to arrange a replacement. You will not be eligible for a subsidy and will be required to pay the full fare for your travel until you obtain a new card (this may take up to 30 days).

6.3 Replacement cards

If you lose or misplace your card, or it is stolen, or if you know that your card is in the possession of another person, or believe that another person has used your card, you must immediately notify AT via the Contact Centre, phone (09) 366 6400 or fill in our online feedback form.

Full details on lost, stolen or non-functioning cards and your responsibilities are set out in the AT HOP card terms of use, sections 16, 17, 18 and 19.

7. Consequences of improper Total Mobility AT HOP card use

Nearly all our clients use their Total Mobility AT HOP cards within the intent and spirit of the Total Mobility scheme.

7.1 Cancellation or restriction of use of Total Mobility AT HOP cards

If you do not use your Total Mobility AT HOP card in accordance with these conditions, AT may:

  • cancel your Total Mobility AT HOP card.
  • impose a daily limit (either value or trip number) on your usage of the Total Mobility AT HOP card.
  • decline to pay the subsidy on trips where you have not complied with the terms and conditions. You will be liable to the operator for these amounts.

Clause 6 of the AT HOP card terms of use also gives AT, or its agent the right to retain your Total Mobility AT HOP card under certain circumstances.

8. Other Issues

8.1 Not using the card anymore

Any Total Mobility AT HOP card that has not been used for a period of three years or more may be cancelled.

8.2 Using another person's card

You cannot use someone else's card for your own travel. You will need to apply for your own card.

8.3 Moving out of the Auckland region

If you move out of the Auckland Council area you will no longer be eligible for the Auckland Transport Total Mobility Scheme. Total Mobility operates in most other parts of the country and on request we can transfer your membership to the regional council where you are moving to.

9. Privacy

9.1 Customer Privacy Policy

Where we collect personal information from or about you in order to provide you with a Total Mobility AT HOP card or through your use of a Total Mobility AT HOP card, the Customer Privacy Policy available on AT's website will apply. For an explanation of AT's practices and policies relating to the collection, use, and storage of your personal information, please refer to the Customer Privacy Policy, which forms part of these conditions.

  • AT will also use the information you provide to establish your eligibility for the Total Mobility scheme.
  • AT will also use the contact information you provide to tell you about any future changes to the Total Mobility scheme and to provide you with other information it considers relevant to your travel under the scheme.
  • Information about you will also be collected by the disability support assessment agency that prepares your application for the Total Mobility Scheme. Information relevant to your eligibility for the Total Mobility scheme and your contact details will be passed to AT. Access to this information will be by the agents, employees or representatives of AT and your disability support agency. When required for audit purposes, information may be accessed by the agents, employees or representatives of the New Zealand Transport Agency and Audit New Zealand, or any Crown entity performing similar roles.
  • If you do not provide the information requested, your disability support agency will not be able to register you as a member of the Total Mobility scheme and you will not be eligible for any subsidy.


1 July 2020

We have updated our Total Mobility conditions of use with most of the changes intended to improve the readability of the conditions of use and are part of our wider efforts to improve the accessibility of the information we provide.

We have also updated conditions surrounding the misuse of the scheme so that we have better tools to address clients who misuse the scheme.

Previous version

If you are experiencing family violence, don't worry, the information within this pop-up won't appear in your browser's history.

Privacy policy

We’ve made asking for help safer than ever.

Join us in standing up against domestic violence and making more places of refuge across the internet.

If you, your business or your agency want to have The Shielded Site tab on your site we’ve made adding it very easy.

Click here to find out more. (WARNING: this will take you away from our shielded portal.)


If you are living in fear in your relationship or in your family, there are so many ways we can help you right now. You won’t be turned away even if you don’t have children, a NZ visa, or money. If you still have more questions have a read below and contact us when you’re ready.

I’m ready to talk now.

You can call our 24-hour support and crisis line on 0800 REFUGE (733843). Or, if you prefer, you can click here and contact us discretely through our contact form and we will email you back as soon as possible.

What will I do for money?

There are a number of benefits and allowances you may be eligible for if you are a victim of domestic violence in New Zealand. We can help you better understand your options once you make contact.

I haven’t been beaten up, can Women’s Refuge still help me?

We support women who have experienced any form of domestic violence: verbal, psychological/emotional, sexual, and financial as well as physical. In fact, psychological/emotional abuse is the most common form of domestic violence.

How much does it cost to stay?

Women's Refuge support and advocacy services are free. In the safe house, rent is usually charged once your financial situation is sorted out. Safety is our main concern. You won't be turned away if you don't have any money.

How long can I stay in a safe house?

Some women only stay a night or two, while others stay for weeks. You can talk with the advocates at your local refuge about how long you think you need to stay to ensure your safety.

I don’t live with my partner, but he is abusing me. Can you still help me?

Yes, you don’t have to be living with your partner to experience domestic violence and you can still call us.

What happens if I haven't got any clothes or food?

Women's Refuge has clothing that you can have. We’ve also got toys and books, formula and nappies. You are welcome to use our emergency food until you get your financial situation sorted out.

Will other people be there?

Safe houses usually have other women, including women with their children, staying there. Refuge advocates are around during the day.

How will I get my kids to school?

The advocates at your local refuge will help you work out transport for your children, or help with changing schools.

Can Women's Refuge help me if I stay in my own house?

Yes, we can provide all the same support and advocacy for you no matter where you choose to live. You may be eligible to access support through the Whanau Protect service.

I'm living in a rural area. Can you still help me?

Yes. Find your local refuge and they will be able to arrange support, advocacy and transport for you.

Can Women's Refuge help around issues with children?

Yes. We can provide support and advocacy around matters to do with custody, access and care.


The safest way to browse the internet if you suspect your browsing history is being monitored, is to use your browser’s private or incognito mode.

If you suspect your device has been compromised by spyware, then you should use consider using another device as some spyware may still be able to monitor icognito sessions.

To activate a private browsing session, follow the instructions below.


Open Safari > go to the File menu > select New Private Window

When finished, don’t forget to close your browser window to ensure your safety and privacy.


Open Chrome > go to the triple-dot menu (top right of your browser's window) > select New Incognito Window

Internet Explorer

Open IE > click the Tools button > select Safety > and then click InPrivate Browsing

Mozilla Firefox

Open Firefox > click the menu button ☰ > and then click New Private Window

You should see a message in the new window saying that you are now browsing privately.

When finished, don’t forget to close your browser window to ensure your safety and privacy.

Getting out

The most important thing is for you and your children to get out safely. It is important to know that leaving a violent relationship can be one of the most dangerous times for women and children so it is important to make a safety plan around leaving and keep your plans confidential. Below are some tips to help you make a plan.

  • If you can, pack a bag with bare necessities and important documents that you can leave with someone you trust. Include important documents such as passport, birth certificate, bank account details, driver’s licence, and bank cards and other things like medicines.

  • Know abuser's schedule and safe times to leave.

  • Contact us for guidance or a safe place to stay for you and your children.

Getting help

We warmly welcome all women and their children to access our support, advocacy and crisis accommodation. If you need help or have questions, use our live chat to get in touch.

making a plan

The safety of you and your children (if you have them) will be your primary concern. If you’re not ready or cannot safely leave, here are some things you can do to stay safe now.

  • Make a safety plan with the guidance of a refuge advocate.

  • Get yourself a pre-paid phone; keep it charged and safe.

  • Keep photocopies of important documents (passport, birth certificate, bank account details, medical notes, driver's licence, etc) and store these at the home of a supportive friend or family member.

  • Keep a journal of all violent incidents, noting dates and events.

  • If you can, open your own bank account and try to save some money.

  • If you have pets you are worried about, consider them in your safety plan.

Privacy Policy – The Shielded Site Application.


In this privacy policy, the terms ‘NCIWR’, ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’ refer to National Collective of Independent Women’s Refuges Inc. NCIWR operates this web application at (‘this web application’).

This privacy policy explains how we may collect, store, use, and disclose personal information that we collect and that you provide to us. By using this web application you acknowledge that we may collect, store, use, and disclose your personal information in the manner set out in this privacy policy.

Collection of personal information

We may collect personal information from you when you use this web application, for example when you make a request for contact on this web application.

You may decide not to provide your personal information to us. However, if you do not provide it, we may not be able to provide you with access to certain information or services. For example, we may be unable to make contact with you if you do not provide us with your contact information.

Automated collection of non-personal information

When you visit this web application, we will not add traceable elements (such as cookies, sessions, and usage monitoring software) to your browser or device.

Use and disclosure

We will not use or disclose your personal information except in accordance with this privacy policy or the Privacy Act 1993. We may use your personal information to:

  • assist in providing information and services requested by you;

  • communicate with you

Your personal information will only be made available internally for the above purposes. We will not disclose your personal information to third parties. We will only use or disclose personal information that you have provided to us, or which we have obtained about you:

  • for the above-mentioned purposes;

  • if you have otherwise authorised us to do so;

  • if we have given you notification of the intended use or disclosure and you have not objected to that use or disclosure;

  • if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions;

  • if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers and users, or others;

  • if we are required or permitted by law to disclose the information; or

  • to another entity that carries on the business of operating this web application.

Storage and security

All personal information collected on this web application is collected and held by NCIWR. We will endeavour to protect your personal information that is held by us from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction.

Third party service providers

This website may be hosted by one or more third party service providers (‘service providers’) who enable us to provide this web application. You acknowledge and agree that any personal information that may be collected on this web application may also be held and used by our service providers on our behalf. Any information collected will be securely sent and securely stored on a server.

Third party websites

This web application may be hosted by websites operated by third parties. We are not responsible for the content of such websites, or the manner in which those websites collect, store, use, or distribute any personal information you provide. When you visit third party websites from hyperlinks displayed on this web application, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of those websites so that you can understand how the personal information you provide may be collected, stored, used, and distributed.

Right to access and correct

You may request access to, or correction of, any personal information we hold about you by contacting us as follows:
Post:Privacy Officer
PO Box 27-078
Marion Square
Wellington 6141

To ensure that the contact information we hold about you is accurate and current, please notify us of any changes to such information as soon as possible.

Contacting NCIWR

Any emergency relating to domestic violence should be directed to 111 for New Zealand Police assistance.

If you request assistance through this website, we will endeavour to respond as soon as we can. If you require advocacy services phone 0800 REFUGE or 0800 733 843 to talk to a refuge in your area within New Zealand. All member refuges of NCIWR are listed on our main website ( If you do visit the Women’s Refuge Website, please note that it is a traceable site so we recommend you use the online safety tips found on this web application to visit safely.

Advocacy services are available at member refuges. Your call and information will be treated in confidence and privacy.

Changes to our privacy policy

We reserve the right, at our discretion, to alter this privacy policy at any time. Changes to this privacy policy will take effect immediately once they are published on this web application. Please check this privacy policy regularly for modifications and updates. If you continue to use this web application or if you provide any personal information after we post changes to this privacy policy, this will indicate your acceptance of any such changes.

This privacy policy was last updated on 6 October 2015.

If You’re In
Immediate danger

If you fear for your safety:

  1. Run outside and head for where there are other people.
  2. Ask someone to call 111
  3. If you have children take them with you if you can
  4. Don't stop to get anything else