Puhinui Station Puhinui Station
Auckland Transport is upgrading Puhinui Station to become a major bus and train interchange.
- Design features of the upgraded Puhinui Station Interchange.
- Find out about the Puhinui Station closure.
Project status: Construction - last updated 7 December 2020.
Project zone: South
The Puhinui Station Interchange project, being delivered by Auckland Transport, is a shovel ready project supported by the New Zealand Government and Crown Infrastructure Partners.
Auckland Transport is upgrading Puhinui Station to become a major bus and train interchange similar to Otahuhu, Panmure and Manukau stations, with a 10 minute bus service to the airport.
The new station will improve travel to and from the airport, and its surrounding areas by providing more reliable and timely travel choices - as well as connecting people to wider Auckland through southern and eastern line train services.
The interchange will build on the existing train station, linking the rail platform with a new bus and 'kiss and ride' area via a new elevated concourse.
Watch our video announcement of the Puhinui Station upgrade.
Learn more about the South Station Plan for Puhinui
- Frequent bus and rail connections to make easy journeys to the airport, city centre and other areas.
- Improved safety with new lighting, HOP ticket gateline, CCTV systems.
- Increased shelter for passengers moving between bus and train services, and improved facilities and access for cyclists and pedestrians.
- September 2019 - construction starts.
- 28 September 2019 - station closed.
- 28 September to 14 October 2019 - station footbridge unavailable.
- 26 July - new Puhinui Station opens.
The Puhinui Station Interchange will cost $69M. This upgrade is partly funded by the Regional Fuel Tax.
- Multiple access options: escalators, stairs and large lifts to accommodate station users with luggage.
- Shared path connection, cycle storage racks, and separated crossings adjacent to the station.
- Public toilets that use recycled stormwater for flushing.
- Drop-off zones and short-term parking bays.
- New and larger platform shelters.
- HOP ticket gateline.
- Improved safety, lighting and CCTV.
- Allowance for the future rapid transit overbridge across the rail line to provide a more direct connection with Puhinui Station Interchange as part of the Airport to Botany Rapid Transit programme.
The station design reflects the history of the area, working in partnership with Mana Whenua.
Watch the YouTube video preview of the Puhinui Station Interchange.
Image: Artist impression of Puhinui Station Interchange exterior.
The new station will connect the AirportLink electric bus service. The AirportLink will connect with Puhinui Station frequently.
- The AirportLink will operate seven days a week, with services running every 10 minutes from 4.30am – 12.40am. Travel times from Auckland Airport are 10-12 minutes, along bus lanes.
- To ensure reliable travel times, the AirportLink will travel along bus lanes that are operational from 6am – 7pm, everyday – allowing for frequent and reliable connections.
- There will be space for luggage
- Travel times from Auckland Airport to Manukau are 23-25 minutes, via Puhinui.
Learn more about lines 36, 38, 313 for the Airport Link