Heads of Agreement and CRL Limited
In September 2016, Auckland Council and the New Zealand Government signed a Heads of Agreement to jointly fund the CRL.
In accordance with the Heads of Agreement, the Sponsors will establish a special purpose entity, City Rail Link Limited (CRLL), to deliver the Project. CRLL will be a crown entity listed under Schedule 4A of the Public Finance Act. Procurement responsibilities will be transferred from Auckland Transport to CRLL upon its incorporation.
Until CRLL is incorporated Auckland Transport will manage the procurement process and all references to CRLL will be deemed to be a reference to Auckland Transport.
A CRL Industry Briefing
Download the presentation material:
- CRL Industry Briefing presentation (PDF 4MB - 30 pages)
- CRL Industry Briefing technical presentation (PDF 6MB - 83 pages)
- Industry Briefing information booklet - section 1 and 2 (PDF 4MB - 32 pages)
- Industry Briefing information booklet - section 3 (PDF 14MB - 28 pages)
Procurement packaging and timeline
The CRL will be delivered in five principal packages.
The geographic location of the packages
The timeline for the procurement of the packages is listed in this table - the table will be updated regularly as dates are confirmed.
|Key procurement details||Prequalification||EOI||RFT|
|Contract 3 - Stations and Tunnels||1 February 2017||April 2017||October 2017|
|Contract 5 - Western Line||N/A||TBA||TBA|
|Contract 6 - Mt Eden Stormwater Diversion||N/A||TBA||March 2017|
|Contract 7 - Systems Integration, Testing and Commissioning||N/A||18 January 2017||March 2017|
|Contract 8 - Wider Network Improvements||N/A||TBA||TBA|
|Contract 9 - Britomart East||N/A||TBA||TBA|
C3 Stations and Tunnels
C3 will be procured using a Design and Construct model with a lump sum price based on a bespoke contract. A portion of the bid costs for any unsuccessful short-listed C3 bidder will be paid in return for any intellectual property rights and effort expended.
Aotea Station - Cut and cover construction of a 15m-deep, 300-m long underground station and plant room box, including platforms, lifts and escalators to street level, plant rooms housing station and tunnel equipment, full station fit-out and entrances at either end at Victoria and Wellesley Streets.
Karangahape Road Station - Mined construction of a 32m-deep underground station, including platform tubes and 150m-long platforms, lifts and inclined escalators to street level, plant rooms housing station and tunnel equipment within two shafts, full station fit-out, entrance at Mercury Lane and provision for future entrance at Beresford Square.
Tunnels - Twin-bored tunnel construction (circa 7m diameter), assuming a launch chamber at Mt Eden and reception chamber at the southern end of Aotea Station.
Newton junction to Western Line - A grade-separated junction between the east and west facing connections, with mined caverns for the turnouts, and cut and cover tunnels. Construction of a new platform for the CRL line in a 7m-deep open trench linked via escalator, stairs and lifts to the Mt Eden station platform on the Western Line, grade separated junctions, construction of a station group control centre above the station entrance and associated MEP and fit-out.
Asset Management - The provision of maintenance services for the three new stations.
C5 Western Line
C5 will be procured using a collaborative contract, details still being confirmed.
Works include track realignment of the Western Line in multiple stages with associated overhead line and signalling plant and equipment relocations, rebuilding the existing Mt Eden station platform, including egress footbridges, building two new public pedestrian footbridges, and construction of a new road bridge, heavy retaining structures and earthworks associated with the grade-separated tracks. Each stage of major construction will be within a block of line and require testing and commissioning prior to completion and re-opening.
C7 Systems Integration, Testing and Commissioning (Systems ITC)
C7 will be procured using an Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) model engagement through a bespoke ECI agreement, with the design and installation work carried out under a form of D&C contract, and commissioning work carried out under a work package/management fee basis.
Works also include responsibility for Operational Readiness. Once construction work has been completed and individual systems have been tested and commissioned, the system needs to be commissioned into service. This will include a trial running period, equipment testing and commissioning, driver training, test train running and operating/maintenance manual updating. Key stakeholders will include construction contractors, the train operator (currently Transdev), KiwiRail as owner and network operator, AT and CAF (the train supplier).
C9 Britomart East
The final contract model for the C9 Package is yet to be determined.
The C9 Package includes modifications within Britomart Station that are completed after trains are operating through CRL. The key elements of the C9 Package include refurbishment of the eastern entrance including modifications to the affected mechanical, electrical, fire, communication and control systems, extension of the eastern concourse over the tracks, provision of additional vertical access at the eastern end of the station, upgrade of the existing escalators at the eastern end of the station, and removal of one of the terminating tracks/platforms and the CRL platform widening.
These drawings indicate the inferred geological layers along the CRL route from site investigations that have been carried out.
- Map of locations of the geological long- and cross-sections (PDF 440KB)
- Geological and hydrogeological model long section 7 and key (PDF 312KB)
- Geological and hydrogeological model long section 1 (PDF 412KB)
- Geological and hydrogeological model long section 2 (PDF 440KB)
- Geological and hydrogeological model long section 3 (PDF 526KB)
- Geological and hydrogeological model long section 4 (PDF 369KB)
- Geological and hydrogeological model long section 5 (PDF 355KB)
- Geological and hydrogeological model long section 6 (PDF 101KB)
Station plans and drawings
- Albert Street from Victoria Street to Wyndham Street. Street Level Plans (PDF 2MB)
- Albert Street from Victoria Street to Wyndham Street. Concourse Plans (PDF 2MB)
- Albert Street from Victoria Street to Wyndham Street. Platform Plans (PDF 2MB)
- Albert Street from Victoria Street to Wyndham Street. Exploded AXO (PDF 2MB)
- Albert Street from Victoria Street to Wyndham Street. Enlarged Cross-section (PDF 2MB)
- Albert Street from Victoria Street to Wyndham Street. Longitudinal Section and Elevations (PDF 803KB)
- Albert Street from Victoria Street to Wyndham Street. Longitudinal Sections (PDF 3MB)
- Albert Street from Victoria Street to Wyndham Street. Typical Platform Plan and Bay Elevation (PDF 2MB)
- Karangahape Station VE2 Pitt Street Auckland CBD. Concourse Plan (PDF 851KB)
- Karangahape Station VE2 Pitt Street Auckland CBD. B7 - Platform Plan North (PDF 1MB)
- Karangahape Station VE2 Pitt Street Auckland CBD. B7 - Platform Plan South (PDF 996KB)
- Karangahape Station VE2 Pitt Street Auckland CBD. B8 -Sub-platform Plan North (768KB)
- Karangahape Station VE2 Pitt Street Auckland CBD. B8 Sub-platform Plan South (PDF 847KB)
- Karangahape Station VE2 Pitt Street Auckland CBD. Longitudinal Sections (PDF 2MB)
- Karangahape Station VE2 Pitt Street Auckland CBD. Cross-sections (PDF 2MB)
- Karangahape Station VE2 Pitt Street Auckland CBD. Co-ordination Axonometric (PDF 3MB)
- Karangahape Station VE2 Pitt Street Auckland CBD. Axonometric K-Road Station (PDF 4MB)
Mt Eden Station
- General Arrangements Mt Eden Station (PDF 5MB)
- Mount Eden Station. Street Level - GA Plan (NAL & CRL) (PDF 3MB)
- Mount Eden Station. Mt Eden Station - Floor Plan - GL (PDF 4MB)
- Mount Eden Station. Mt Eden Station Concourse and Access Bridges Long Section/Elevation (PDF 2MB)
- Mount Eden Station. Mt Eden CRL Platform Long Section/Elevation (PDF 2MB)
- Mount Eden Station. Mt Eden Station NAL Platform Cross Sections (PDF 2MB)
- Running Tunnel Between Karangahape Station to Southern Junction (Newton) (PDF 349KB)
- Southern Junction Tunnels General Arrangement Plan (PDF 198KB)
- Bored tunnel (MC 30) - Running Tunnel Between Aotea Station to Karangahape Station (PDF 341KB)
- TBM Services Layout (PDF 3MB)
Signalling scheme plans
- Britomart to Karangahape (PDF 172KB)
- North Auckland Line (NAL) junction (PDF 164KB)
- Henderson - stage 1 (PDF 118KB)
- Newmarket - rev 2 (PDF 185KB)
- Otahuhu - 3rd platform and Otahuhu loop (PDF 169KB)
- Otahuhu - 3rd platform (PDF 138KB)
- Strand crossover (PDF 184KB)
- NAL connections - all stages (PDF 355KB)
Any questions potential tenderers have about the CRL project can be sent to CRLProcurement@at.govt.nz