Proposal status: Closed
Reference number: 20100378
We're proposing improvements in your area
We are proposing to:
- Install a new Swedish-style raised pedestrian crossing at 94 Brightside Road. This is a pedestrian crossing on a wide, flat speed bump with an extended off-ramp to make for a smoother, quieter drive, especially for larger vehicles like buses and emergency service vehicles.
- Install raised islands in the middle of the pedestrian crossing to give people a safe place to wait in between the two lanes of traffic.
- Install tactile pavers, which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people to find their way to crossings and safely across roads, at the crossing.
- Move the bus shelter outside 91 Brightside Road slightly to the west.
- Paint broken yellow lines (no stopping at any times) near the proposed crossing and bus stops. This will improve visibility for drivers and make it easier for buses to access the bus stops. This would result in the removal of approximately 7 on-street parking spaces.
- Paint new roadmarkings and install new signs to support the changes.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. We heard concerns from the community about the lack of a safe crossing at this location. We have investigated these concerns and are proposing these improvements. These proposed changes would:
- Slow drivers down to make the area safer for everyone on the road.
- Make pedestrians crossing the road more visible to drivers.
- Make crossing the road more comfortable for everyone, especially for people with prams and wheelchairs, as the crossing would be raised to be level with the footpath.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Stanmore Bay: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Brightside Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).