Enjoy 50% off AT travel fares, concessions and the price of a new AT HOP card (except the purchase of pre-loaded HOP cards) until 31 August 2022. For more details, visit Half Price Discount on Public Transport Fares.
Auckland Transport offers discounted fares for children and school students aged 5 to 15 years old.
How to apply
Steps to get a child concession on your AT HOP card. Check if you're eligible for the child discount.
Step 1: Register AT HOP card
There are two options for how you can register an AT HOP card. You will need to decide who will manage the card.
You need to know
When you register the card with a child's date of birth, a child concession will be automatically applied to the card.
Step 2: Allow 24 to 72 hours
Once you have registered the card, it may take 24 to 72 hours for the child concession to be available on your AT HOP card.
You need to know
Adult fares will be charged until the child concession becomes available on the card.
Step 3: Tag on to activate
You will need to tag on to an AT HOP card reader or electronic gate at a train station within 60 days for your concession to be activated on your AT HOP card.
If you forget to tag on within 60 days, contact us and we can reactivate it for you.
If you don't have an AT HOP card, find out how to buy one.
Child fares are available on cash paper tickets and on AT HOP cards for all participating Auckland public transport services. The child fare also applies to students travelling on school buses. See Fares & discounts.
Free child weekend fares
With free travel for children on weekends, you pay nothing for bus, train and participating ferry travel on weekends and public holidays for children aged 5 to 15 years old using a registered AT HOP card. Excludes Waiheke ferry services.
- Children 5 to 15 years old inclusive are eligible for a child fare.
- Student ID cards are not required for primary and intermediate school children, however primary and intermediate students may contact us to request an AT Student ID Card or call on (09) 366 6400.
- All secondary students are required to carry their current Auckland Transport approved student ID card with them and present it on request to prove they are eligible for a child fare.
Child concession expiry
The child concession on the AT HOP card will expire once the child turns 16 years old.
For secondary school students aged 16 to 19 years old, you will need to apply for a secondary student concession to continue to be eligible for discounted fares.
You may be interested in:
- Secondary student concession (16 to 19 years old).
- Tertiary student concessions.
- School bus timetables.
- Fare zones & how much you pay.