Auckland Transport offers discounted fares for children and school students aged 5 to 15 years old.
Who can get the child discount
- Children 5 to 15 years old inclusive are eligible for a child fare.
- Child fares are available on cash paper tickets and on AT HOP cards.
- All secondary students are required to carry their current Auckland Transport approved student ID card with them and present it on request to prove they are eligible for a child fare.
- Student ID cards are not required for primary and intermediate school children, however primary and intermediate students may contact us to request an AT Student ID Card or call on (09) 366 6400.
- Child fares are automatically applied to a registered AT HOP card based on the child's date of birth. The child fare also applies to students travelling on school buses.
Child fares are available on all participating Auckland public transport services.
Free child weekend fares
With free travel for children on weekends, you pay nothing for bus, train and participating ferry travel on weekends and public holidays for children aged 5 to 15 years old using a registered AT HOP card. Excludes SkyBus services and Waiheke Island ferry services.
Steps to get a child concession on your AT HOP card
Step 1: Buy a card
If you don't have an AT HOP card then first buy a card. You need the card number to be able to register.
Step 2: Create MyAT account
You will need to decide how you want to manage your child's AT HOP card.
Option 1: Create the account on behalf of your child
- This allows them to eventually take over the management of their card and account.
Option 2: Use your own MyAT account, login and create linked accounts for managing cards for more than one person
- If in the future the person you are managing this card for wants to manage their own card, they will have to create their own MyAT account and buy a new card to register. Please note, you cannot transfer AT HOP money between accounts.
Step 3: Register the AT HOP card
- Log into MyAT and register your AT HOP card.
- If you are under 16 years of age, a child concession will be applied automatically when you register the AT HOP card with the the correct date of birth.
Step 4: Tag on to activate your child concession
- After registering your AT HOP card, it may take 24-72 hours for the child concession to be available.
- Tag on within 60 days otherwise the child concession will expire. If that happens, contact us and we can reactivate it for you.
- Remember, until the concession is applied to the card, adult fares will be charged.
- You don't have to do anything until your 16th birthday.
You may be interested in:
- School bus timetables.
- Tertiary student concessions.
- How to pay for public transport.
- Ticket and top-up machines.
- Bus and train fares.