Great South Road, Penrose - New footpath Great South Road, Penrose - New footpath
Proposal status: closed 5 December 2018
Reference number: FP1819-002
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install a new footpath on Great South Road in Penrose. The proposal includes a raised crossing on the driveway of the retail centre, as well as additional pedestrian legs at the Great South Road intersection.
Download the proposal drawing for Great South Road (PDF 867KB)
Why the changes are needed
These changes are needed to complete a gap in the current footpath network. The path will enable safer walking journeys in the area, and improve pedestrian access to shops and bus stops.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
- This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders who supported the new pedestrian facilities.
- It is hard for people to leave my carpark as my drive is at the intersection. Could there be some adjustments to the lights so I can override the lights? The main goal of this project is to deliver a new footpath. Therefore, your suggestion for a traffic signal control is outside of the scope for this project, and will take some time to investigate. This will be passed along to the appropriate team within Auckland Transport for consideration.
- Trucks and cars constantly run red lights through the Great South Road/Southdown Lane intersection. If a Pram crossing is going to be built, then something must be done to ensure more safety around the red light runners. Your suggestion for greater police enforcement falls outside of AT’s jurisdiction. We have passed on your comments to the local Police station.
- Concern about narrowing the entrance to Southdown Lane from Great South Road causing issues with trucks turning in and out of Southdown Lane. Tracking for large vehicles has been checked and reviewed as part of this proposal. No issues have been identified.
- Concern regarding the new pedestrian crossing into retail centre creating a backlog of traffic along Great South Road. Pedestrians already have priority over turning traffic at driveways. The zebra crossing highlights the crossing point but does not change the priority that would exist without a crossing. Safety of the crossing point is enhanced with the raised crossing as well as the marked zebra.
- You are putting in more grass in, but council hardly does any maintenance here. This grass will be maintained by Auckland Transport, as it will be located within Auckland Transport’s road reserve. It will therefore be added to AT asset register as part of this project, and undergo regular mowing.
This work will happen before the end of June 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays.
Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.