Great South Road, Penrose – Pedestrian crossing Great South Road, Penrose – Pedestrian crossing
Proposal status: updated 13 February 2019
Reference number: RTV-180
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install a signalised pedestrian crossing outside 698 Great South Road and 477 Great South Road, Penrose. The changes include:
- installation of a signalised pedestrian crossing.
- reconstruction of the footpath at both sides of the crossing.
- installation of 2 x bus stops and removal of broken yellow lines.
- changes to road markings and signage.
Download the proposal drawing for Great South Road (PDF 2.8MB)
Why the changes are needed
Great South Road is a busy arterial road with no pedestrian crossing facility in the vicinity of Greenpark Road. There are multiple bus stops on this stretch of Great South Road with moderate pedestrian activity. These mid-block traffic signals will assist pedestrians crossing safely.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders who supported measures to improve pedestrian safety and connectivity.
- Request for a ‘pedestrian countdown’ at the signalised crossing. We are currently investigating whether a pedestrian counter can be added as part of the detailed design.
- Concern that traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing at the railway station on Great South Road are too slow. The phasing of traffic lights at pedestrian crossings across Auckland has been set to accommodate individuals of all abilities and allow them to safely cross. We will assess this pedestrian crossing for operational issues and will make any adjustments as necessary.
This work will happen between July 2020 and June 2021, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays.
Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.